1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

What has the Federal Government actually done?

1. Fishhead06

7,123 Posts.

When the cheer squad recite ad nauseum the acomplishments of the Coalition there are some inconvenient facts which they overlook. History will hold them up for ridicule.

1. "We have stoopeed the boats" The boats had essentially stopped once labor introduced offshore processing. Check what happenned to the flow after this date. The opposition did all they could to make sure the boats did not stop under Labor. The Coalition came in and threw a web of secrecy over border protection, gave it a military name and as history will show committed crimes against humanity in the process- watch this space.

2. We have removed the Carbon Tax. It was working, the big pollutors were paying and the country was getting billions in revenue on a continual basis. But Abbott who got his job by being a climate change denier waited till he could team up with a mining man to enable him to scrap it. In the face of a fiscal emergency, they still kept in place the compensation for a non existent tax.

3. We have scrapped the mining tax. Once again only after a mining man enabled them to do it. It was a "super profit" tax and was only payable when miners made super profits, but Clive was not taking any chances. Once again the compensation remained for a non existent tax.

4. We have signed trade agreements. {In the case of China, a sales and purchase agreement of Australia, just like NZs } Negotiation on these had reached the sticking points. These had been in the pipleline for years and there were critical areas yet to be worked through.

The coalition needed some good news. Abbott told Robb to give way on everyrtning and just get the things signed, they needed to show they could achieve something. History will once again show that you don't get nations like China falling over themselves to sign an agreement that had been dormant for years. They gave away a massive amount of concessions that will damage this nation for years to come, just to get a good news story.

There is very little this Government has achieved when you look at the facts.

Source not known ---- But I thought it was accurate reading and decided to share with the HC Community.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.