1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

war inc

1. oliveoyl

4,788 Posts.

Bush Says U.S. Would Wage War Again to Make World Safe

Sunday, November 16, 2003 10:34 p.m. ET

LONDON (Reuters) - The United States would wage war again, and alone if necessary, to ensure the long-term safety of the world, President Bush said in an interview published Monday.

Bush told Britain's leading tabloid newspaper, the Sun, on the eve of a state visit that he felt compelled to act following the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington.

"I was at Ground Zero after the attacks," he said. "I remember this haze and the smells and the death and destruction. I'll always remember that.

"I made up my mind right then. We were at war and we were going to win the war. And I still feel that determination today."

The paper quoted Bush as saying U.S. forces and their coalition allies had ended the tyranny of Saddam Hussein in Iraq, smashed the grip of Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network in Afghanistan and forced the United Nations to stop turning its back on terror.

The mass-selling Sun newspaper, best known for its semi-naked Page Three girls, is owned by tycoon Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., the most influential media empire in Britain.

Bush's choice to grant it an interview raised eyebrows among American journalists, who questioned its suitability for a president who has publicly embraced evangelical Protestantism.

"After coming to office with a vow to restore dignity to the White House, the president... granted an exclusive interview to a British tabloid that features daily photographs of nude women," the Washington Post said in an article on its Web site.

The Post said the president had gone "down market" and pointed out that he had not given an exclusive interview to many of the U.S. national newspapers this year.

UNPOPULAR IN BRITAIN

Bush, unpopular in Britain following the U.S.-led war on Iraq, arrives Tuesday for a visit that includes meetings with Queen Elizabeth and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, his closest wartime ally.

In another interview with a British newspaper, influential Pentagon adviser Richard Perle echoed Bush's comments, saying the possibility of future conflicts could not be ruled out.

"Of course he (Bush) is going to stick with that principle, because it is fundamental to fighting and winning the war against terror," Perle, one of the architects of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, told the Daily Telegraph.

"So, does this entail a risk we will find ourselves in conflict... with other governments? Sure, it does."

While in Britain, Bush will stay at the queen's London residence, Buckingham Palace, visit Blair's northern English constituency and talk to relatives of British soldiers killed in Iraq.

Thousands plan to demonstrate against Bush, whose decision to invade Iraq was opposed by a majority of Britons, even though it was backed by the government.

In a YouGov poll for London's Sunday Times newspaper Bush was branded a threat to world peace by 60 percent of those questioned, while 37 percent said Bush was "stupid."

Blair's ratings have plunged since the Iraq war and the failure to find weapons of mass destruction -- the government'smain justification for launching the military campaign -- but Bush said the decision to go to war should not be judged on short-term results.

"I set big goals," he said. "I know what we're doing is going to have a positive effect on this world."

Copyright © 2003 Reuters Limited.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.