1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Volatility Trades

1. jongo

2,033 Posts.
    This week my plan with SPXL and SVXY, which I opened long trades in on Monday night, was to run loose stops up until the NFP on Friday night, then set tight profit protector stops. The reasons for this plan were discussed on the oil thread last Monday. I stuck to this plan and subsequently both SPXL and SVXY were stopped out while I slept due to the NFP being overcooked. That is, due to the high January NFP and the significant upwards revision of the December NFP number, the yanks started fretting over the possibility of interest rate rises, hence, the SPX tumbled and took SPXL and SVXY with it. I was hoping for the SPX to close above 2065 because that would have triggered all of the breakout traders and the SPX could have jumped to a new and higher trading range at 2100+. Although the dream that the SPX would break out above 2065 did not materialise, this week has resulted in excellent profits being banked with SPXL and SVXY.

What opportunities will next week bring I wonder. Too early to tell right now, but by Monday night there will probably be sufficient news out there in the business media to assess the short term direction. The SPX has been ranging from mid-December to the present, and with the range over the last month being roughly 1990 to 2065. Hence, it is probable that the SPX will either break out above 2065, or retest 1990 again. At present I suspect the latter scenario will play out, hence, Monday night may be the time to open a long trade with SPXU and UVXY. Actually, the better time to open with SPXU and UVXY was probably last night, but anything could happen over the weekend.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.