victorian man wins $16m in powerball

1. 3,412 Posts.
    Victorian man wins $16m in Powerball
    November 18, 2005

A MAN from southeast Victoria has scooped the pool with a win of more than $16 million in Powerball, taking the jackpot and 44 second-division prizes.

The Latrobe Valley man, who wants to remain anonymous, discovered his win in this morning's paper, realising his "Play the Field" entry had picked up the $15 million jackpot.

It was not until he received a call from Tattersall's that he was told he had also won second division 44 times, giving him total prize money of $16,077,949.40.

The man, who is in his 50s, said the surprise win had pushed him "right out of my comfort zone" but would help provide for his children for the rest of their lives.

"At the moment I wouldn't even know what country I'm in," he said.

"If I could pick a trifecta on Melbourne Cup day and win about $300, I would think that's pretty good, but this is way above my league."

The man said he was driving past the Churchill Newsagency last night and saw the $15 million sign and decided to "have a crack at it".

"Now I'll get some experienced financial advice on how to handle all this money. Of course, an overseas trip and new car might be considered," he said.

"Meanwhile, we will have a quiet family party to celebrate."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.