GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

us retail sales collapse ...

1. 24,765 Posts.
    Do you remember when cheerleader US financial TV was telling us how strong the US consumer was? Well, have a read of this. It indicates to me that the new administration will print hundreds of billions of dollars to help stimulate the US economy. Good for gold. Bad for the US dollar.

"Retailers Report a Sales Collapse

By STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM
    Published: November 6, 2008

Sales at the nation’s largest retailers fell off a cliff in October, casting fresh doubt on the survival of some chains and signaling that this will probably be the weakest Christmas shopping season in decades.

The remarkable slowdown hit luxury chains that sell $5,000 designer dresses as badly as stores that offer $18 packs of underwear, suggesting that consumers at all income levels are snapping their wallets shut.

Sales at Neiman Marcus, the luxury department store, dropped nearly 28 percent in October compared with the same month last year. Sales fell 20 percent at Abercrombie & Fitch, nearly 17 percent at Saks, 16 percent at Gap and nearly that much at Nordstrom...

Two stylishly dressed friends spending time in Midtown Manhattan on Thursday said they used to enjoy shopping. “I want to impulse-buy again,” said a wistful Louise Van Veenendaal, an actress. But these days, economic anxiety is prompting the women to steer clear of stores. They refuse even to look at sales circulars.

“I’m much poorer than I’ve ever been,” said her friend, Kate Pistone, also an actress, who makes ends meet by working at a restaurant. Sales there have been declining. “I made $5 last night,” she said.

Analysts who spend time prowling the nation’s stores to track trends say that consumers are simply shell-shocked by all the grim financial news.

“You walk the mall and consumers look like zombies,” said Mr. Morris of Wachovia, after visiting a mall last week. “They’re there in person, but not in spirit.”

Full article at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/business/07retail.html?em

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.