AVZ 0.00% 78.0¢ avz minerals limited

Understanding lithium demand, page-16

1. 9,014 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16891
    As I suspected, NeoMetals has delayed the facility because of capital cost issues - predominantly. They are worried about short term movements in lithium prices given, IMO, the high cost nature of the Mt Marion mine and the hydroxide facility itself btw.
    https://thewest.com.au/business/mining/costs-force-rethink-of-neometals-kalgoorlie-lithium-refinery-study-ng-b881141214z

If you can't be profitable when spodumene prices are US$700 per tonne at the mine (where NeoMetals has a stake in Mt Marion is a key here too), you have a problem (so the oversupply issue is falling spodumene prices to an acceptable level still above historical averages) plus falling hydroxide prices (which are still over US$12,000 per tonne at this moment btw). And prices are expected to increase btw in the medium term - i.e stabilse now but from my own reading not go back to their highs. Obviously Albermale and Tianqi better defer their own hydroxide plants (which each are going to be three times the size of NeoMetals proposal given they are currently (Tianqi) or about to be in the construction stage (Albermale) as we speak) but it is likely Neoetals has issues with efficiency, grade and capex. As I said access to good quality spodumene is king as is low cost access to gas supply.

As to your second point here is the graph you are referring to I suspect in that PLS post -which I have copied from the PLS thread in that post of yours there.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1476/1476038-bf2ec3ff6ab2659934c917c466b8ec60.jpg
    So lets add the spod totals (even the forecast ones). I get about 2.1 million tonnes of chemical grade spodumene concentrate capacity in 2019, accepting all the yellow in the above btw.

Now lets look at the 2025 figures for passenger vehicles alone I have provided - I stated 550,000 LCE appears to be the estimate for the passenger vehicle EV market people are working with, as per the earlier post on the thread, which makes the spodumene need 4.125 million tonnes of 6% grade feedstock for that market. Now, lets add that other 200,000 LCE tonne in the other category which is the other in 2018- been 1.5 million tonnes - before even considering growth in this area. Total so far is 5.625 million tonnes of 6% grade spodumene equivalent need by 2025, minimum estimate, probably slightly north of 7 mtpa if can work out what happens in the non-passenger vehicle battery market by 2025 if the estimates are correct.

As per another post here on hydroxide been the better choice for batteries and the domain of hard rock, in effect I must say the estimates suggest there is scope for AVZ to enter at a 2mtpa configeration before 2025 (which produces in effect 400,000 tonnes of 6% grade spodumene).

Obviously the issue here is brine's role and possible other expansions in existing producers. So looking at the figures - your graph suggesting 2.1 million tonnes of 6% grade spodumene capacity in 2019 - and my estimates are over 7 mtpa required in 2025, or at least over 6mtpa in 2025, which means AVZ has an opportunity to enter the market IMO based on this data.

I mean, this thread is just not limited to AVZ, because looking at this BGS, SH have hope too (note I don't hold BGS btw). The opportunity is there IMO, but time will tell whether AVZ has got its act together to exploit it.

Finally, and for avoidance of doubt I don't consider myself an expert at all. I just research, use technical knowledge and conversions to see whether there is a possibility forAVZ to enetr the market pre 2025. I think there is and others need to do their own research because you should never rely on a HC poster for your investment advice IMO. I have said so in the past as well - refer Post #: 37646820

All IMO

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVZ (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.