ATV 0.00% 2.0¢ atlantic gold nl

touquoy cyanide shipping issue resolved

1. 232 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    ATV showing they know how to settle problems quickly, and retaining goodwill of the community.

Controversial plan canned
    DDV Gold, DuPont instead to truck cyanide to proposed mine
    By CATHY VON KINTZEL Truro Bureau
    Sat. Mar 1 - 4:47 AM

TRURO — DDV Gold Ltd. has abandoned a controversial plan to use Truro’s industrial park as a train-to-truck transfer site for cyanide en route from the United States to a gold mine proposed for Halifax County.

The company now intends to truck it all the way to Moose River.

A letter from Peter Carter, general manager of operations, was distributed to Truro town councillors Friday as part of the agenda and package of materials for their monthly meeting Monday.

Mr. Carter wrote that discussions with the supplier, DuPont, "confirm that the transport plan will be altered to deliver sodium cyanide direct from the factory in the U.S.A. to the mine site by truck. "No trans-shipment will be required in Truro and no need is seen for trucks to stop in any communities between the turnoff from Highway 104 to the mine."

Mr. Carter also wrote that the new trucking plan has been discussed with Transport Canada and is consistent with current practices that presently see hazardous goods transported past Truro on Highway 102. "We apologize if the originally proposed plan caused any undue concern and would stress that during the 18 months leading up to the actual start of shipment, the company remains open to comments or suggestions from the town."

Truro Mayor Bill Mills said Friday he didn’t want to say much about the company’s decision until the letter had been read publicly and discussed by town councillors at next week’s meeting.

But he’s pleased with the result.

"To me it shows co-operation, that the company listened to the concerns of the community and council," Mr. Mills said. Town and company officials met earlier this month to discuss the issue.

DDV Gold, a subsidiary of Australia-based Atlantic Gold NL, is working its way through government regulations in hopes of launching the Touquoy Gold Project, an open-pit mine in Moose River, by 2009. The company had originally proposed transporting cyanide from Memphis, Tenn., to Truro by rail and then transferring it to a truck.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.