1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
BLT 18.5¢

Thoughts from Panno

1. Blane66

2,021 Posts.
    Author’s reply »Regulus was expecting that RG-101 would be a single shot treatment for HCV, much the same as Benitec’s TT-034. The cure rate for the patients in the current RG-101 trial don’t match up to those for drugs from Gilead or AbbVie. In fact, the rate falls a long way short. This brings into question the commercial viability of RG-101.

There may be ways that Regulus can improve the efficacy, such as increasing the dosage, or using the drug in combination with oral treatments. I think the talk of using RG-101 in conjunction with oral drugs is speculation on the Internet and not statement of direction from the company.

Peter French at Benitec has also indicated that a combination of TT-034 with oral drugs could be on the cards if TT-034 does not match the cure rate of the market leaders. However, my personal view is that if either TT-034 or RG-101 require other drugs to make them effective, then they will not be commercially viable. All the advantages of a single shot would be gone and so what would be a reason for clinicians to prescribe them?

I think Regulus will take a long hard look at the current results before determining which direction they go in from here.

The mode of action of RG-101 is completely different to TT-034. RG-101 is an anti-mir (similar to antisense) targeting microRNA 122 (miR-122), which is a “host” miRNA and not a viral miRNA. miR-122 is reported to account for about 70% of all hepatic miRNA. TT-034 uses three shRNA’s to target “viral” RNA in order to prevent viral replication. TT-034 integrates with the host’s genome and constantly produces the therapeutic shRNAs but RG-101 does not integrate. TT-034 is delivered by a viral vector. RG-101 is delivered using Regulus’s GalNAc-conjugated (see Alnylam).

As TT-034 targets viral RNA and uses a tried and tested viral vector, I would be surprised if any unexpected side-effects are reported in the current trial, but one can never be 100% certain. Regulus as reported limited side-effects of RG-101 but, as miR-122 represents 70% of all liver miRNA and as its effect on the liver is still being discovered, I would like to see a longer term analysis of side-effects before ticking that box.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.