1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Those Aussie indices

1. bombadier

2,271 Posts.

I sat up last night playing with charts, as I often do.
    Here's something interesting.

You all keep telling the this market slump is June tax selloff.

For the last 5 years, the market has risen in June.
    The 5 years preceding that, the market fell in June.

Now it gets interesting:
    The first 5 years, every time the market rose in June, it fell in July.
    The last 5 years when it fell in June, every time it rose in July!

10 out of 10 is a significant number to keep your eye on.

This year undoubtably June will be down, will we see a good July? Notwithstanding America totally tanking (and I doubt it will tank rapidly apart from terrorist attacks), I believe July will see a good pullback, although I feel it will only be a rally in a bear market.

Now let's look for some logic in the June/July reversals over the last 10 years (maybe you guys would like to chip in and see if you can spot some trends)

One piece of logic that comes to mind (and I didn't have time to look into it last night before my eyes started closing).
    Perhaps the first 10 to 14 days in June are significant.
    Lets say this period sees a retraction in the market. The average punter is losing, wouldn't it be logical for him to sell of some of his stocks for a tax loss?

If the reverse occurs, as it has for the last 5 years, he's making profits. Why sell off when he's making profits? This would hardly help his tax situation, and he's sure as hell not gonna offer them cheaper than the market price!

This is well worth looking into for those who are interested. If we can predict market movements for the next 6 weeks after 10 to 14 days into June, wouldn't it give us another great little tool for our armoury.

Comments welcome, this may be coincidence, but if coincidence can be linked with logic we are half way there.

Cheers.
    Bomber

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.