1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

this is really gilt edged

1. FallGuy

2,070 Posts.

Australian brothel readies IPO

Bordello seeks to raise $5M by offering 'recession-proof' opportunity.
    December 13, 2002: 11:01 AM EST

SYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) - Touting its recession-proof services, the Daily Planet, an Australian bordello, said its plans to issue shares have attracted so much interest it will move its stock exchange listing forward to early 2003.

Selling itself as a "very busy five-star hotel," the Melbourne, Australia-based Daily Planet said it aims to raise $5 million to pay debts and grow by offering 40.4 percent of its property arm to the public.

The group said in July it hoped to become the world's first listed brothel within one to two years.

"Since then we have received over 3,000 telephone and e-mail inquiries from investors all over the world, including nine million hits on our Web site," Daily Planet Managing Director Andrew Harris said.

"With such anticipation, we resolved to expedite the listing process," he said.

Prostitution is legal in some parts of Australia, but with certain curbs.

The Daily Planet's gaudy Horne Street property in the Melbourne suburb of Elsternwick has 18 themed rooms with names such as Venus and Xanadu. Some have spas large enough for several guests at a time.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.