1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

The Market, is it the Yank's fault?

1. bombadier

2,271 posts.
    Is our market really as resilient to movements overseas as we love to think?

Sure, NCP, RIO and the banks automatically bring the index down, but is that the end of the story? The DOW still has 560 points to fall to reach the lows of a fortnight ago. Last night on sycom our SPI broke the low by over 20 points.

I believe sentiment here is no better than over there, despite Johnny and Peter telling us to "hang in there, don't sell, the economy is in good shape"!

I saw a few weeks back where the DOW rose for 3 days running while our SPI lost ground, so the underlying factor is more that the DOW or the Nasdaq.

Where to now?
    I can't see Sep11 lows not being challenged in the next day or two. When does it get to the point where confidence gets so low that Mr Average just says "enough pain, I'm out of here".

Hopefully not yet, but every time resistance on the down side gets taken out that becomes an ever increasing risk.

I reloaded the second barrel as sycom crossed 2975 last night, with fairly close stops. It's not how I like to see the market, but I'm damned if I'm not gonna try to make the best of it.

We are now sitting on the March01 low, failure to hold this will see further falls after open today. Below that, Sep24.

Comments from futures boys appreciated.

Bomber

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.