Tassie...can't wait..., page-7

1. 79,551 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    the thing you'll eventually notice - particularly living on the NW - is that not for nothing is Tassie called -------- 'in the roaring 40's'

the prevailing wind for Tassie is NW -------- and, on the NW coast (and, the west coast) - nothing is more clear.

If you are into boats and fishing - there's some of the most beautiful experiences that I've seen in Oz right near you.

You always need a well thought out and fitted boat - and, don't mind trailering -but,

the right boat opens up Tassie like nothing else.

Check out Wynard - go for a calm morning - launch on first light in summer (you will probably go a little earlier once getting to know it) - you launch from the Wynard Sailing club - great parking ---------------- easy peasy entrance to Bass Straight - no bars - just drive straight out.

You just cruise out to about the 25 metre mark - toodle west perhaps a bit then, just drift - using little jiggers dragging along the bottom - those pretend octapussy things - no bait needed and you will get a feed of the most delicious flathead around - there's bazillions of them - learn to fillet them - it's easy.

You get there on first light - it's all over by 10 am - and, you're on the way home.

If you begin to pick up reefy fish - then, you are over rocky stuff - if that happens - you'll know it ---------- if you pick up a very red colored fish - small - be aware that chefs and particularly any french chefs - will KILL for that fish - it's a nothing fish (most people would chuck them away) - but, is to die for in soups - you will not taste anything else like it.

The same boat that you can go for the flathead - will be as at home in the highland lakes - and, there's the trout.

If I had my 'choice' of boat - it would have a cabin - and, a diesel heater - you don't need to carry huge fuel quantities - a tiny tiny tank for it would do - but, to sit up in the lakes when it's cold and have a heated cabin - where you can coffee or whatever - is pretty close to bliss ----------------- not too bad for the offshore thing either - but, in summer - it's not cold really - and, if it's crappy - you won't be out there.

If you're into more exciting stuff - you go further offshore - much further - for the sharks - wasn't my thing - but, they are there.

If you are adventurous and you have a bigger boat - then, the South of Tasmania is something else - two points

1. if you leave adventure bay on bruny island and head south (definitely take a trip there with Rob Pennicott -- you will see a change that's as big a change as I've seen anywhere on the planet

you leave Adventure bay - which is very clearly - Tassie, Oz - a pretty place -

but, only a short distance down the way - something magic happens - and, you are just totally transported from one ocean to the next - one moment - you're in Oz - and, the next moment -------- you're undoubtedly in the Southern Ocean - it's as good as being teleported - different animals, different birds - different everything.

then of course in the southern waters - if you have the boat and don't mind rough a bit ---------- there's Tuna ------------ world record stuff..

But, for normal people - a tuna ---------- fresh - well looked after when you catch it --- slices raw with a 'quality' real wasabi paste if you can get it and a 'quality' soy sauce --

is --------- simply ----------- unforgettable.

yep - if the budget and life preferences allow for it ---------- Tassie is a wonderful experience
    Last edited by pintohoo: 15/12/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.