my son (early 20s) came to me with the paperwork for his...

1. 98 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8
    my son (early 20s) came to me with the paperwork for his employer's super a while back. he wanted to double-check that he was doing the right thing by opting out of the life insurance component. the percentage of the premium against his super contributions was significant and the product was totally unnecessary for a young single person. i'm convinced that the percentage of young people that would have known why and how to opt out of this blatant theft would be less than 1%. he was a student working part-time and making a few hundred dollars a week, so his super contributions would have been around, say $100-$120/month. i think the insurance was $10 or $20/month; easily wiping out any potential gains and ensuring a negative return. I am sure that there are hundreds of thousands of young part time workers who think they're getting super but don't realise they are actually getting robbed.

the default for these useless and unnecessary products is definitely "on" and the companies involved do their best to make opting out difficult to find and understand.

this is profiting through preying on young people that are just starting out. the super funds and insurance companies involved have ethics on par with crack dealers. the individuals who set up these "insurance" products inside super funds are immoral and the law should be changed so that they can be charged and jailed accordingly.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.