Hi all.What is the closest anyone has come to finding an pair of...

1. 307 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    Hi all.

What is the closest anyone has come to finding an pair of stocks with a correlation of -1 (or as close as possible)?

Has anyone successfully found a stock (or passive/low-fee ETF) with a strong inverse correlation to the ASX200 over the long term?

My goal is to have just 2 stocks or funds in my portfolio.
    (ie, no cash).

Stock A and Stock B are "strongly inversely correlated".

Let's call these stocks "Stock A" and "Stock B".

I want to maintain 50% of the value of my portfolio as Stock A and 50% of the value of my portfolio as Stock B.
    • When stock A rises above it's fair value, I expect stock B to fall by roughly the same amount from it's fair value. Stock A will therefore represent > 50% of my portfolio's value, while Stock B will represent < 50%.
    • At such a time, I want to sell a proportion of Stock A and immediately purchase more Stock B.
    • In doing so, I will have achieved my goal of keeping 50% of the value of my portfolio as Stock A and 50% of the value as stock B, respectively.

What do you think about this hedging strategy?

Would it be effective and cost effective?

I think the most important aspect of this strategy, is the choice of stocks.

==> Can anyone provide some thoughts on how to find stocks with a strong inverse correlation?

Thank you in advance

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.