MUL multiemedia limited

some thoughts

1. 652 Posts.
    In many ways satellite could well end up staying just a
    solution for areas with no other choice.

The future really seems to lie with wireless solutions.
    One I am well aware of is i-BURST which has had a recent
    article in APC magazine and is close to launch..
    It will offer a national coverage.

Another I have head of is Unwired.

Here is something on i-BURST.... Also
    If everyone is buying today and they are all going to sell
    tomorrow or the day after... Well that seems a fools game. One has to ask off and to, who ?

motorway

-BURST WIRELESS BROADBAND NETWORK, AUSTRALIA
    The i-BURST Personal Broadband System is a mobile wireless broadband network currently being deployed in various urban centres in Australia by a consortium of companies led by CKW Wireless, the Australian subsidiary of ArrayComm at a total cost of around $25 million. Pre-commercial system rollout of the i-BURST system commenced in November 2002 with commercial availability expected sometime in mid 2003.

i-BURST will allow users to connect to the web via a high-speed wireless connection from a variety of devices including laptop computers and PDAs (personal digital assistants), enjoying always-on connectivity at speeds of up to 1Mbps. The network is designed so that content and application providers can easily create personalised and differentiated services for the market.

i-BURST PERSONAL BROADBAND SYSTEM
    The i-BURST Personal Broadband System is a carrier-grade wide area wireless data network that will provide high-speed wireless Internet access. i-BURST is complementary to 2G and 3G systems as well as short-range 802.11 WLAN (Wi-Fi) networks. In this respect, I-BURST allows subscribers to use broadband access through multiple mobile technologies with seamless interoperability between systems.

i-BURST will use unpaired frequencies, "time division duplex (TDD) spectrum" and ArrayComm's IntelliCell signal processing software, which manages traffic by enabling a base station to detect and maintain links with a variety of subscribers in a congested signal environment.

The pure IP, end-to-end system is designed to support a range of IP applications in a mobile environment. Applications i-BURST can support include e-mail, virtual private networking, high speed web access, streaming video, gaming and voice over IP (VoIP).

i-BURST is designed to achieve 1Mbps to 40Mbps user peak data rates as well as 400x capacity over 2G and 40x over 3G. The system employs ArrayComm's IntelliCell, adaptive spatial processing technology to achieve spectral efficiency of 4 bits/sec/Hz/cell.

The system was first tested at ArrayComm's San Jose facilities, and later in 2002 underwent a technology trial in San Diego by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

SPECTRUM AND COVERAGE
    The network uses unpaired 5MHz TDD spectrum in the 19GHz band (1905-1910MHz) obtained after a successful bid in the Australian Communications Authorities (ACA) 3G wireless spectrum auction. The commercial license covers a 15-year period from October 2002 onwards at a total spectrum cost of AUD $9.5 million.

i-BURST will eventually cover eight Australian cities and be available to 14.5 million people, about 75% of Australia's population.

i-BURST APPLICATION SPECIFIC INTEGRATED CIRCUIT
    User equipment in the i-BURST network uses a baseband Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC), the first of which came off the production line in October 2002 at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). The ASICs are designed for use in PCMCIA modems, PDA modules and other devices and constitute a conversion from an early-stage Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) format.

ArrayComm decided on the production of ASICs for user equipment to reduce device manufacturers' development cost and time-to-market for i-BURST compatible devices in order to avoid a delay in the supply of equipment and hence a delay in subscription growth.

The ASICs contain fully i-BURST-compliant transmitters and receivers with traffic, broadcast and paging-channel support, radio control functions, variable order modulation, forward error correction, constellation shaping and burst-by-burst link adaptation, among other features. They are manufactured in an advanced CMOS process and packaged in a 1.0mm ball pitch 484-pin Fine Pitch Plastic Ball Grid Array (FPBGA).

KEY PLAYERS AND CONTRACTORS
    i-BURST is being deployed as a combined effort of a consortium led by CKW Wireless Pty Ltd., the Australian subsidiary of ArrayComm. Formed in June 2002, the consortium includes the carrier Vodafone Australia, the Internet Service Provider (ISP) OzEmail, project manager Total Communications Infrastructure (TCI) and base station site owner Crown Castle Australia. Later in 2002, CommWorks joined the consortium as both equipment and service provider. The ASICs to be deployed in user equipment are manufactured by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). The first confirmed base station and wireless modem licensee is Kyocera.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.