1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
NAB $27.72

short term support line not lookin so good

1. infonet

465 Posts.

What with the NAB terminating the $600M share buyback, and the possibility of raising additional Capital.

The support at 3120 is now NOT lookin good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

National Australia Bank has terminated its $600 million share buyback and may have to raise new capital after being hit by the toughest ever penalties laid against a major Australian financial institutionby the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.

The bank has been forced to raise its internal target capital adequacy ratio to 10 per cent and will no longer be allowed to use its internal model to determine market risk capital.

The measures, included in a damning report from Apra in the wake of the $360 million foreign exchange trading scandal, forced the bank to terminate its $600 million share buyback on Wednesday.

At September 30, 2003, NAB had a total capital adequacy ratio of 9.7 per cent, with the bank holding $24.5 billion of regulatory capital against risk weighted assets of $252 billion.

On those numbers, NAB would need at least another $770 million to get to 10 per cent, but since September 30, its balance sheet has grown (helped by the sale of its stake in St George Bank) and it has been a conducting a share buyback with a target capital ratio of 9.5 per cent.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.