2. Gainers & Losers

saving line studies

1. madmacs

25,374 posts.
    Subject re: reading material
    Posted 01/12/02 16:53 - 30 reads
    Posted by rembrandt
    Post #10591 - in reply to msg. #10590

Hmmm... not a new title by any means (first printed in 1990) but a nice little book on charting is "The Australian Investors Guide to Charting" by Regina Meani (ISBN 0-947351-97-3) about $20.00

This book is written by one very smart chick ...

One of the best on pure charting with emphasis on line studies which is the real basis of technical analysis as the old hands will remember.

With charting programmes featuring 120 plus drop down indicators ... the new chums forget that real chart analysis is about line studies ... the indicators are for confirmation.

Cheers ...

This is only my view ... read the red stuff.

Voluntary Disclosure: Position Sentiment: None TOU violation

Subject re: reading material
    Posted 01/12/02 17:08 - 24 reads
    Posted by AnnaPhylaxis
    Post #10592 - in reply to msg. #10591

Rem...couldn't agree with you more re line studies. That plus pattern recognition come before the use of tools. For intro to TA, I don't think you can go beyond the classics such as Edwards and Magee's technical Analysis of Stock Trends.

Cheers,

AnnaP

Subject re: reading material rembrandt
    Posted 01/12/02 17:16 - 20 reads
    Posted by madmacs
    Post #10594 - in reply to msg. #10591

re the line studies

Hi Rembrandt

Point taken
    wish I could save line studies as a metastock template and not just the indicators.
    take so long to reset them up in each candidate....ie regression lines fib crossings gann fans etc
    john

Have a Plan.......USE a stoploss....Don't overtrade (put simply.....resist the temptation to get in and out of the market too often....."We learn from history that we do not learn from history".... Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Subject re: reading material ... madmacs
    Posted 01/12/02 17:47 - 5 reads
    Posted by rembrandt
    Post #10596 - in reply to msg. #10594

Hi madmacs ... you can save line studies in Metastock.

I use a number of Templates etc ... on of which is a simple one for HC posts aptly named HCtemplate. lol

I like to keep my default charts 'clean' in Metastock so on opening I 'apply' my HC Template and construct or copy my line study along with template indicators ... these most now recognise as a Fib study and an RSI ...

These can be save as 'Charts' (not Smart Charts) within Metastock (e.g. say Hotcopper folder within C:\Shares) and 'Save As' HTML (JPG format) for posting on HC.

You will need an FTP Program to upload these to you webspace ... afterwhich you can simply LINK them to your post.

This method keeps it all simple and I can do a chart and have it posted in a few minutes.

Cheers ...

This is only my view ... read the red stuff.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.