road map to where? top lecture by israel asper

1. 5,748 Posts.
    Road Map to Where? Lecture by Israel Asper

-----------------------
    Jabotinsky Memorial Evening
    Toronto - July 29, 2003

Road Map to Where?

Speaking Notes for Israel H. Asper, O.C., O.M., Q.C.

INTRODUCTION

I HAVE, FOR ALMOST ALL OF MY ADULT LIFE, BEEN AN ADMIRER AND STUDENT OF VLADIMIR (ZE'EV) JABOTINSKY. HE STANDS AMONG THE GREAT ZIONIST LEADERS, ALONG WITH HERZL AND WEITZMANN. I HAVE THE HIGHEST REGARD FOR THOSE WHOM HE INSPIRED AND MENTORED, AND WHO CARRIED FORWARD HIS VISION AFTER HIS PREMATURE DEATH IN NEW YORK 63 YEARS AGO.

I THEREFORE CONSIDER IT A SINGULAR HONOUR TO BE SHARING MY THOUGHTS WITH YOU, AS WE GATHER TO CELEBRATE THE LIFE OF ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PHILOSOPHERS, WRITERS, SOLDIERS AND PIONEER ZIONIST VISIONARIES OF AT LEAST THE LAST TWO CENTURIES.

MY FUNCTION TONIGHT IS TO COMMENT ON THE FACTS, AND NOT THE PHILOSOPHIES CONFRONTING ISRAEL AS IT ADDRESSES THE AMERICAN, RUSSIAN, EUROPEAN UNION AND UN PROMOTED "ROAD MAP TO PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST" - AND TO HELP ANSWER THE QUESTION: IS THIS A ROAD MAP TO PEACE?; A ROAD MAP TO HEAVEN?, OR A ROAD MAP TO HELL? IS IT A TRAP, OR A TREADMILL TO NOWHERE? IT HAS BEEN CALLED BY SOME CRITICS, OSLO REFURBISHED; AUSWITCZ UPDATED, BY OTHERS. U.S. CHRISTIAN LEADER PAT ROBERTSON HAS CALLED IT INSANITY AND THE END OF ISRAEL. ITS SUPPORTERS CALL IT A PANACEA FOR PEACE, BUT I FEAR THEY MAY BE THE SAME NAÏVE AND DELUSIONAL PACIFISTS WHOSE ROSE-COLOURED VIEW OF ARAB INTENTIONS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OSLO DEBACLE OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION.

IT MAY BE NONE OF THESE, BUT ONLY BECAUSE IT WILL LIKELY FAIL IN ITS FIRST PHASE AND THERE WILL BE A RETURN TO THE FULL FLEDGED WAR THAT IT HAS TEMPORARILY INTERRUPTED: IN THE WORDS OF U.S. HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER TOM DELAY, SPEAKING ON FRIDAY, THERE CANNOT BE ANOTHER TERRORIST STATE, AND THAT MEANS THERE CAN BE NO PALESTINIAN STATE UNTIL THERE IS A COMPLETE POLICY CHANGE IN THE PALESTINIAN AND ARAB WORLD'S ATTITUDE BOTH TOWARD JEWS AND ISRAEL, AS WELL AS TO THE UNITED STATES. THERE IS REGRETTABLY NO EVIDENCE OF THAT.

THUS, ONE IS TEMPTED TO CONCLUDE THAT THE ROAD MAP IS A SNARE AND DELUSION, JUST AS WAS OSLO. IF THAT IS CORRECT, THEN THE WAR WILL CONTINUE UNTIL THERE IS A CLEAR VICTOR AND A VANQUISHED.

IN ALL THE WARS IN MODERN HISTORY, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN PEACE UNTIL THERE HAS BEEN A CLEAR WINNER AND A DEFEATED LOSER. LOOK AT KOREA, 50 YEARS AFTER THE ARMISTICE, WITH PEACE NEGOTIATIONS STILL CONTINUING, BUT NOW, UNDER THE THREAT OF NUCLEAR WARFARE.

A SHORT BACKGROUNDER

A BRIEF CHRONOLOGY OF THE KEY EVENTS LEADING UP TO THE PRESENT SITUATION:

1. THE ZIONIST MOVEMENT TO BRING THE WIDELY DISPERSED, STATELESS AND PERSECUTED JEWS OF THE WORLD TO THEIR ANCESTRAL HOMELAND IN PALESTINE TOOK OFF IN EARNEST AT THE BEGINNING OF THE 20TH CENTURY. IT WAS LED BY THEODORE HERZL, CHAIM WEITZMANN, VLADIMIR JABOTINSKY, DAVID BEN GURION AND OTHERS.

2. IN 1917, PARTLY IN GRATITUDE FOR JABOTINSKY HAVING FOUNDED THE JEWISH LEGION TO FIGHT BESIDE THE BRITISH TO FREE PALESTINE FROM OTTOMAN RULE IN WORLD WAR I, BRITISH COLONIAL SECRETARY LORD BALFOUR PUBLISHED THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT'S BALFOUR DECLARATION PROMISING THE ZIONISTS TO ESTABLISH A JEWISH HOMELAND IN PALESTINE. THIS WAS RATIFIED BY THE UN'S PREDECESSOR, THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS.

3. AS MORE JEWS EMIGRATED TO THE PROMISED STATE, THE ARAB COMMUNITY FORMED MARAUDING TERRORIST GROUPS WHICH ATTACKED THE JEWISH SETTLERS ROUTINELY, OR RIOTED AGAINST THEM KILLING THOUSANDS OVER THE YEARS.

4. THE BRITISH RESILED FROM THEIR PROMISE, AND RESTRICTED JEWISH IMMIGRATION TO PALESTINE EVEN DURING THE RISE OF NAZIISM AND CLOSED IT OFF ENTIRELY IN 1939 ON THE EVE OF WORLD WAR II. THAT SEALED THE FATE OF 6 MILLION EUROPEAN JEWS WHO BECAME THE FUEL FOR HITLER'S OVENS.

5. AFTER WORLD WAR II, MENACHEM BEGIN LED THE IRGUN AND BEN GURION LED THE HAGANAH IN THE JEWISH REVOLUTION IN PALESTINE, AIMED AT DRIVING OUT THE BRITISH AND ACHIEVING THE PROMISE OF A JEWISH STATE.

6. IN 1947, THE UN PROPOSED A PARTITION PLAN WHEREBY THERE WOULD BE 2 STATES IN PALESTINE - ONE JEWISH, THE OTHER ARAB. THE JEWS ACCEPTED; THE ARABS REJECTED IT. THIS WAS AFTER 80% OF WHAT WAS ORIGINALLY PALESTINE HAD BEEN CURVED OUT AND GIVEN TO ARABS TO BECOME JORDAN.

7. ISRAEL DECLARED STATEHOOD ON MAY 14, 1948, THE UN APPROVED IT INTO MEMBERSHIP, AND THE ARABS OF PALESTINE, JOINED BY THE ARMIES OF 5 ARAB NATIONS DECLARED WAR ON ISRAEL, VOWING TO DRIVE THE JEWS INTO THE SEA.

8. ISRAEL SURVIVED. APPROXIMATELY 500,000 ARABS, MAINLY AT THE EXHORTATION OF THEIR OWN LEADERS, AND DESPITE GUARANTEES AND APPEALS MADE BY ISRAEL, FLED THEIR HOMES TO OTHER ARAB ENCLAVES BOTH IN PALESTINE AND ADJACENT ARAB COUNTRIES. 55 YEARS LATER, THEIR DESCENDANTS ARE REFERRED TO AS "PALESTINIAN REFUGEES."

9. CONCURRENTLY WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF ISRAEL, THE SURROUNDING ARAB COUNTRIES BEGAN A PROGRAM OF EXPELLING THEIR JEWISH COMMUNITIES PRECEDED BY DISENFRANCHISEMENT, BEATINGS, BURNINGS AND KILLINGS. ALL JEWISH PROPERTY WAS CONFISCATED. THERE WERE 850,000 JEWISH REFUGEES, MOST OF WHOM WERE ABSORBED BY ISRAEL. I REFER TO THEM, IN THE PRESENT CONFLICT, AS "THE FORGOTTEN REFUGEES."

10. ISRAEL HAS SINCE HAD TO FIGHT 4 ADDITIONAL WARS PROVOKED BY ARAB NATIONS INTENT ON ITS DESTRUCTION. OVER THE PAST 55 YEARS, ARAB TERRORIST GROUPS HAVE NEVER STOPPED THEIR ATTACKS ON DEFENSELESS CIVILIANS.

FAST FORWARD TO OSLO

WE ARE ALL FAMILIAR WITH THE 1993 OSLO PEACE PROCESS. IN THE SEVEN YEARS OF THAT ACTIVITY, ISRAEL DELIVERED TO THE ARABS EVERYTHING THAT IT PROMISED, BUT THE ARABS DID NOT KEEP A SINGLE ONE OF THE COMMITMENTS THEY HAD MADE. TERRORISM CONTINUED, THE INCITEMENT TO VIOLENCE AND HATRED CONTINUED IN THE PALESTINIAN SCHOOLS, MOSQUES, MEDIA AND POLITICAL RHETORIC.

IN 2000, UNDER THE PRESSURE AND INFLUENCE OF PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON, AND IN A DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO ACHIEVE A FINAL PEACE UNDER THE OSLO UMBRELLA, THE CAMP DAVID SUMMIT WAS HELD WHERE ISRAEL'S LABOR PRIME MINISTER BARAK MADE AN EGREGIOUS OFFER, GIVING THE PALESTINIANS ALMOST EVERYTHING THEY OUTRAGEOUSLY DEMANDED. BUT EVEN THAT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR ARAFAT, WHO REJECTED IT AND RETURNED TO RAMALLAH TO PLOT, ORGANIZE AND LAUNCH THE CURRENT UPRISING.

THEN 9/11 INTERVENED, AND SUDDENLY PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH HAD TO FACE THE UGLY REALITIES OF ISLAMIC TERRORISM THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. HIS FIRST PRIORITY WAS AFGHANISTAN, QUICKLY FOLLOWED BY IRAQ, WITH A PROMISE TO ADDRESS THE SITUATION IN ISRAEL WHEN THAT MISSION WAS ACCOMPLISHED.

ROAD MAP

ON JUNE 24, 2002, PRESIDENT BUSH MADE A SPEECH IN THE ROSE GARDEN, DIRECTED TO THE SITUATION IN ISRAEL. THERE, HE RECOGNIZED ARAFAT AS THE MASTER TERRORIST HE HAS BEEN ALL HIS LIFE, AND CALLED FOR A "NEW AND DIFFERENT PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP SO THAT A PALESTINIAN STATE CAN BE BORN." HE SAID SUCH NEW LEADERSHIP MUST NOT BE "COMPROMISED BY TERROR", MUST PRACTICE DEMOCRACY, REFORM ALL ITS INSTITUTIONS, ABANDON TERROR, END INCITEMENT TO HATRED AND ADOPT A NEW CONSTITUTION GIVING ITS PEOPLE FULL LIBERTY.

AND HE WARNED THAT THE RAMPANT CORRUPTION, THE PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY FUNDING OF TERRORISM, DENIAL OF THE RULE OF LAW, MUST BE RECTIFIED IN ANY SETTLEMENT, AND MR. BUSH DEMANDED THAT THE "PALESTINIAN LEADERS ENGAGE IN A SUSTAINED FIGHT AGAINST THE TERRORISTS AND DISMANTLE THEIR INFRASTRUCTURE". HE ALSO SPELLED OUT WHAT WOULD BE EXPECTED OF THE ISRAELIS.

THIS WAS THE FORERUNNER TO THE ROAD MAP, WHICH WAS FORMALLY TABLED BY THE QUARTET THREE MONTHS AGO, ON APRIL 30. THE PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, CREATED UNDER THE OSLO AGREEMENTS, SAID IT WOULD ACCEPT THE ROAD MAP. ISRAEL, DETERMINED NOT TO REWARD TERRORISM, TABLED 14 RESERVATIONS, AND AFTER BEING PROMISED BY PRESIDENT BUSH, THAT THE RESERVATIONS WOULD BE GIVEN SERIOUS AND SYMPATHETIC CONSIDERATION AS THE PROCESS MOVED ALONG, AGREED TO FOLLOW THE MAP.

WHAT EXACTLY DOES IT SAY

AS YOU READ, LISTEN TO, OR WATCH TODAY'S MEDIA, YOU WOULD THINK THAT THE ROAD MAP IS ALL ABOUT ISRAEL REFUSING TO FREE CAPTURED TERRORIST PRISONERS; YOU WOULD THINK IT WAS ABOUT ISRAEL BUILDING A SECURITY FENCE TO KEEP OUT ARAB TERRORISTS; YOU WOULD THINK IT IS ABOUT ISRAEL BEING FORCED TO LET PALESTINIAN WORKERS, TERRORISTS AMONGST THEM, COME BACK IN TO WORK IN ISRAEL; YOU WOULD THINK IT WAS ABOUT DEMANDING THAT ISRAEL MAKE "CONFIDENCE-BUILDING" GESTURES TO SUPPORT PALESTINIAN PRIME MINISTER MAHMOUD ABBAS, FOR WHICH THERE IS NO QUID PRO QUO, QUITE UNILATERALLY, SO THAT ABBAS WILL BE ABLE TO DELIVER EVENTUALLY ON HIS PROMISES.

THE ROAD MAP IS ABOUT NONE OF THESE. IN FACT, NONE OF THESE MATTERS ARE EVEN PART OF THE ROAD MAP. THEY ARE MERELY RED HERRINGS DRAGGED ACROSS THE PICTURE BY THE PALESTINIANS TO TRY TO DISTRACT THE WORLD FROM THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NOT CARRYING OUT THEIR COMMITMENTS THAT THE ROAD MAP ACTUALLY PROVIDES, AND TO WHICH THEY SAY THEY'VE AGREED.

SO, WHAT DOES THE ROAD MAP SAY?

THE ROAD MAP IS DIVIDED INTO THREE PHASES, THE SECOND BEING CONTINGENT ON THE FIRST BEING COMPLETE, AND THE THIRD BEING CONTINGENT ON THE SECOND BEING COMPLETE. SO, EACH ONE IS PIVOTAL.

PHASE I

1. PRESIDENT BUSH'S SPEECH OF JUNE 24/02 WAS ADOPTED AS THE CORNERSTONE PHILOSOPHY.

2. THE PALESTINIANS ARE TO IMMEDIATELY IMPLEMENT AN UNCONDITIONAL CESSATION OF VIOLENCE.

3. THE PALESTINIANS ARE TO IMMEDIATELY END THE INCITEMENT TO HATRED AND THE CELEBRATION OF HOMICIDE BOMBERS.

4. THE PALESTINIANS WILL DRAFT A NEW CONSTITUTION PROVIDING FOR FREE, FAIR AND DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS AND GOVERNMENT.

5. ISRAEL IS TO TAKE STEPS TO NORMALIZE PALESTINIAN LIFE.

6. ISRAEL WILL WITHDRAW FROM PALESTINIAN AREAS OCCUPIED AFTER SEPTEMBER 28, 2000 AS AND WHEN SECURITY IS PROVIDED BY PALESTINIANS.

7. ISRAEL ISSUES AN UNEQUIVOCAL STATEMENT AFFIRMING ITS COMMITMENT TO A TWO-STATE VISION FOR PALESTINE.

8. THE PALESTINIANS DECLARE AN UNEQUIVOCAL END TO VIOLENCE AND TERRORISM AND UNDERTAKE VISIBLE EFFORTS ON THE GROUND TO ARREST, DISRUPT AND RESTRAIN INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS CONDUCTING AND PLANNING VIOLENT ATTACKS ON ISRAELIS EVERYWHERE. THIS INCLUDES COMMENCING CONFISCATION OF ILLEGAL WEAPONS AND THE CONSOLIDATION OF SECURITY AUTHORITY, UNDER OFFICERS WHO ARE FREE OF ASSOCIATION WITH TERROR AND CORRUPTION.

9. THE ARAB STATES ARE TO CUT OFF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE FUNDING AND ALL OTHER FORMS OF SUPPORT FOR GROUPS SUPPORTING AND ENGAGING IN VIOLENCE AND TERROR. AND, ALL DONATIONS TO THE PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY BE PROPERLY ACCOUNTED FOR AND USED FOR PROPER PURPOSES.

10. ISRAEL WILL DISMANTLE UNAUTHORIZED SETTLEMENTS AND FREEZE ALL SETTLEMENT ACTIVITY.

11. ISRAEL AGREES TO TAKE MEASURES TO IMPROVE THE HUMANITARIAN SITUATION, LIFTING CURFEWS, REMOVING CHECK-POINTS AND EASING RESTRICTIONS ON MOVEMENT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER COLLATERAL STEPS REQUIRED IN PHASE I, BUT THE FOREGOING ARE KEY. PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO LANGUAGE WHICH COULD CONCEIVABLY EXPAND THE MEANING TO INCLUDE THE RELEASE OF PRISONERS, THE RESTRICTION ON BUILDING OF A SECURITY FENCE, OR RELEASING ARAFAT TO RENEW HIS WORLD TRAVELLING SHOW.

ALTHOUGH I DOUBT THAT WE WILL GET TO PHASE II AND III, LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT THEY PROVIDE: IN PHASE II, THE BEGINNINGS OF THE PALESTINIAN STATE, IS SAID TO ONLY BEGIN WHEN THE PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP HAS ACTED DECISIVELY AGAINST TERROR, INSTITUTED DEMOCRACY, HELD FREE ELECTIONS AND REFORMED CIVIL INSTITUTIONS AND SECURITY STRUCTURES. IT WILL ALSO ONLY PROCEED WHEN THE QUARTET DECIDES IT SHOULD PROCEED, BASED ON THE PERFORMANCE OF EACH OF THE TWO PARTIES IN PHASE I.

IN PHASE II PROVISIONAL BOUNDARIES FOR THE PALESTINIAN STATE WOULD BE ESTABLISHED, AND WHEN ALL THE OTHER DEMOCRATIZATION TESTS HAVE BEEN MET, THERE WILL BE AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF ALL THE COUNTRIES IN THE REGION, PRESUMABLY INCLUDING ALL THE ARAB STATES WHICH ARE STILL OFFICIALLY AT WAR WITH ISRAEL AND IT IS AT THIS STAGE THAT BORDERS, THE ISSUE OF JERUSALEM, THE REFUGEES ISSUE, SETTLEMENTS, A COMPREHENSIVE PEACE TREATY AMONGST ALL THE COUNTRIES IN THE REGION WOULD BE RESOLVED AND NORMAL RELATIONS WITH ISRAEL ESTABLISHED WITH ALL THE ARAB STATES.

PHASE III CALLS FOR A FINAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE TO TIE UP ALL THE LOOSE ENDS.

PARENTHETICALLY, LET ME DRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO THE WORD "REFUGEES". NOTE THAT IT DOES NOT SAY "ARAB" OR "PALESTINIAN" REFUGEES, IT JUST SAYS "REFUGEES". I FULLY EXPECT ISRAEL, OR OTHER NATIONS, SUCH AS CANADA, WHO ATTEND THOSE CONFERENCES, TO ENSURE THAT THE FATE AND COMPENSATION OF THE 850,000 JEWISH REFUGEES FROM ARAB LANDS WILL BE ADDRESSED AND BE AS EQUITABLY DEALT WITH CONCURRENTLY AS THE CASE OF PALESTINIAN REFUGEES IS RESOLVED.

ARE THE OBJECTIVES RIGHT

TO THE EXTENT THAT THE ROAD MAP SEEKS BRINGING AN END TO KILLING AND AN END TO THE INCITEMENT TO TERROR AND HATRED, ALL PEOPLE OF GOODWILL WILL HOPE FOR ITS SUCCESS. IT IS ENTIRELY A MATTER FOR POLITICAL DEBATE AS TO WHETHER OR NOT ISRAEL HAS AGREED TO PAY TOO HIGH A PRICE, EVEN IF IT RECEIVES DELIVERY OF THE ROAD MAP'S PROMISES THAT THE PALESTINIANS AND THE QUARTET HAVE MADE. THIS IS A MATTER OF POLITICAL DEBATE IN ISRAEL, NOT HERE. BUT IT IS CERTAINLY A MATTER OF LEGITIMATE COMMENT BY SUPPORTERS OF ISRAEL, BOTH JEWISH AND CHRISTIAN, AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THIS PROCESS WILL, BOTH IN THE SHORT TERM AND IN THE LONG TERM, YIELD THE PROMISED RESULTS.

LET ME DIGRESS A BIT. I DON'T BELIEVE YOU CAN ADDRESS THESE QUESTIONS WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING WHAT THIS WAR IS REALLY ALL ABOUT. IT ISN'T ABOUT JERUSALEM, IT ISN'T ABOUT REFUGEES, IT ISN'T ABOUT SETTLEMENTS, AND IT ISN'T ABOUT BORDERS. THIS HUNDRED YEAR WAR IS ABOUT THE RIGHT OF THE JEWISH NATION TO HAVE A SOVEREIGN STATE, WHICH IS A JEWISH STATE, WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE BIBLICAL AND ANCESTRAL HOMELAND OF ITS FOREBEARS.

THE FUNDAMENTAL OBJECTIVE OF ARAB LEADERSHIP, WHETHER IT IS POLITICAL, CULTURAL, NATIONALISTIC, OR RELIGIOUS, HAS BEEN THAT ISRAEL MUST BE DESTROYED; ALL JEWS KILLED OR EXPELLED, AND THAT ALL PALESTINE BELONGS TO THE ARAB WORLD. THIS IS NOT AN ASSUMPTION THAT I POSTULATE, IT IS TAKEN FROM THE MOUTHS OF ALL THE PRINCIPAL LEADERS OF THE ARAB WORLD, DOWN THROUGH THE GENERATIONS, INCLUDING RIGHT UP TO AND INCLUDING MUCH OF THE PRESENT LEADERSHIP. I COULD FILL THE EVENING WITH BLOOD-CURDLING QUOTATIONS OF THIS INTENT. THE REVERSE SIDE OF THAT COIN IS THEIR OFT-STATED STRATEGY OF GRADUALISM, ATTRITION AND PHASING OVER HOWSOEVER MANY GENERATIONS IT TAKES, TO ACHIEVE THAT OBJECTIVE.

THAT IS, THE PALESTINIAN STRATEGY IS TO FIGHT FOR AND TAKE EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING THEY CAN GET, AND WHEN THEY REALIZE THEY CANNOT GET ANY MORE, AT A PARTICULAR TIME, THEY WILL ACCEPT WHAT HAS BEEN GIVEN AND MAKE THAT THE NEW, IMPROVED FRONTIER FROM WHICH TO LAUNCH THEIR NEXT SET OF DEMANDS, ALL AIMED AT THE FUNDAMENTAL AND SINGLE-PURPOSED OBJECTIVE, THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAEL AND THE EXPUNGING OF JEWS. AND THEY DON'T CARE HOW MANY GENERATIONS IT WILL TAKE.

THUS, IT IS A FAIR COMMENT FOR ME TO SAY THAT WHILE I DON'T BELIEVE THE ISRAELIS WILL REWARD TERRORISM OR ENGAGE IN ENOUGH APPEASEMENT TO GET THROUGH PHASE I OF THE ROAD MAP, I OFFER THE VIEW THAT UNLESS THERE IS THAT CHANGE IN ARAB THINKING, AND THE ADOPTION OF 21ST CENTURY MODERNITY BY ISLAM THAT I REFERRED TO EARLIER IN MY REMARKS, EVEN IF WE GET TO PHASE II OR III, THE CREATION OF A PALESTINIAN STATE, UNLESS THE STATE IS A PROTECTORATE OF ISRAEL, WITH ISRAELI CONTROL OVER THE EDUCATION SYSTEM, FOREIGN AFFAIRS, IMMIGRATION, DEFENCE, A STATE WHICH CANNOT ENTER INTO MUTUAL DEFENSE AGREEMENTS WITH OTHER COUNTRIES, ALONG WITH MANY OTHER SAFETY VALVES, THE WESTERN WORLD WILL HAVE, THROUGH STUPIDITY, CREATED YET ANOTHER SOVEREIGN TERROR STATE THE LIKES OF IRAN, IRAQ, SYRIA AND LIBYA. THAT, OF COURSE, WILL LEAD TO AN ALL OUT ARAB WAR TO WIPE OUT ISRAEL.

THE LANDSCAPE

MY PESSIMISM ARISES FROM THE CURRENT STUMBLING START DOWN THE ROADWAY. FIRSTLY, THE ROAD MAP IS PREMISED ON A "REGIME CHANGE" IN THE GOVERNANCE OF THE PALESTINIANS. THAT SIMPLY HAS NOT HAPPENED. ARAFAT, THE MASTER TERRORIST, AND THE THIEF OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS MEANT FOR THE BENEFIT OF HIS OWN SUBJUGATED PEOPLE, STILL RUNS THE SHOW. MOREOVER, IT WAS JUST ADMITTED LAST WEEK BY A PALESTINIAN MINISTER, THAT HE IS FUNDING AN AFFILIATED TERRORIST ORGANIZATION, THE AL AKSA BRIGADE, ALL OF WHICH IS PROHIBITED IN THE ROAD MAP.

HE STILL CONTROLS 60% OF THE SECURITY FORCES IN THE REGIME, AND HAS DEMANDED AND BEEN ALLOWED FULL CONTROL OF NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE ISRAELIS. ABBAS CONSTANTLY CONFIRMS THAT ARAFAT IS THE BOSS, AND WHILE THEY MAY ARGUE FROM TIME TO TIME, ARAFAT HAS THE LAST WORD. ARAFAT CONTINUES TO MAKE SPEECHES EXTOLLING HEROISM OF THE HOMICIDE BOMBERS ADDRESSING PALESTINIAN AUDIENCES IN ARABIC. THIS IS REGIME CHANGE? THIS IS A RENUNCIATION OF TERRORISM? THIS IS AN END TO INCITEMENT?

AS FOR HIS TOKEN REPLACEMENT, MAHMOUD ABBAS, HE IS A KNOWN HOLOCAUST DENIER AND AS ARAFAT'S LONG SERVING DEPUTY, CLEARLY HAS BEEN LINKED TO TERRORISM, INCLUDING THE MASSACRE OF THE ISRAELI ATHLETES AT THE MUNICH OLYMPIC GAMES.

AND IN VIOLATION OF THE ROAD MAP, OFFICIAL ISRAELI AND UNOFFICIAL U.S. FORCES HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THE SAUDIS ARE STILL FUNDING TERRORIST ACTIVITIES, AS IS ARAFAT HIMSELF, NOT TO MENTION SYRIA AND IRAN.

NOTWITHSTANDING THAT THE ROAD MAP HAS BEEN IN EFFECT FOR 90 DAYS, EGYPT AND JORDAN HAVE STILL NOT RETURNED THEIR AMBASSADORS TO ISRAEL, AND EVEN WHEN THEY DO, KICKING AND SCREAMING, IT IS HARDLY AN ENCOURAGING SIGNAL TO THE ISRAELIS.

LEST ANYONE THINK THAT MY STATEMENT OF THE TRUE ARAB OBJECTIVES IN THIS PROCESS IS AN EXAGGERATION, YOU NEED ONLY CONSULT RECENT PALESTINIAN POLLS TAKEN ACROSS THE ARAB WORLD IN WHICH 90% OF THE MUSLIMS SAY THAT ISRAEL MUST BE WIPED OUT, AND THE VAST MAJORITY STILL HOLD BIN LADEN AND ARAFAT AS THEIR PRINCIPAL HEROES.

SO, HOW'S THE ROAD MAP GOING?

WELL, NOT SO WELL. INSTEAD OF THE ENTIRE PALESTINIAN COMMUNITY DENOUNCING TERRORISM AND LAYING DOWN ARMS, ABBAS HAS BEEN ABLE ONLY TO PRODUCE THE "HUDNA". HUDNA DOES NOT MEAN "ARMISTICE". HAMMAS, ISLAMIC JIHAD AND AL AKSA ANNOUNCED AN INTERIM CEASEFIRE, A HUDNA, WHICH TRANSLATES FROM THE ARABIC, AS MERELY AN OFFICIAL TEMPORARY HALT, BUT AS WE'VE SEEN, NOT A FULL STOP TO THE TERRORISM.

A CEASEFIRE WITH THESE ORGANIZATIONS ISN'T WORTH THE WIND IT IS BLOWN INTO, AS HISTORY HAS SHOWN. THERE HAVE BEEN TEN CEASEFIRES DURING OSLO, WHICH THE PALESTINIANS UNILATERALLY BROKE, AND SIX WHICH SUFFERED THE SAME FATE SINCE THE INTIFADA BEGAN. INDEED, IN THE ROAD MAP CEASEFIRE ANNOUNCEMENTS THEMSELVES, THE TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS HAVE MADE IT CONDITIONAL ON THE RELEASE OF ALL ISRAELI CAPTURED PRISONERS OF THE WAR. THAT IS SIMPLY BIZARRE. RELEASING PRISONERS, IN WAR TIME, ONLY OCCURS AFTER FINAL PEACE TREATIES ARE SIGNED, NOT WHEN BELLIGERENTS ANNOUNCE A WAR STOPPAGE WITH THE UNILATERAL RIGHT TO RECOMMENCE AT ANY TIME.

IT IS WIDELY UNDERSTOOD THAT ABBAS WAS ONLY ABLE TO GET THESE TOKEN TEMPORARY CEASEFIRE GESTURES BY USING THE "PHASE" ARGUMENT WITH THE TERRORIST LEADERS, NAMELY, THAT IF THEY STOPPED SHOOTING FOR A WHILE, PALESTINIANS WILL GET MORE AND MAYBE EVEN THEIR OWN STATE, AFTER WHICH, THE TERRORISTS WILL BE FREE TO STRIKE AGAIN FROM SECURE AND SOVEREIGN BOUNDARIES.

AND, NOTWITHSTANDING THE ALLEGED CEASEFIRE, THE TERRORISM CONTINUES DAILY, WITH TOKEN ABATEMENT ONLY. IN THE FIRST MONTH FOLLOWING THE TABLING OF THE ROAD MAP, THERE WERE 323 TERRORIST ATTACKS AGAINST ISRAELI TARGETS, AN AVERAGE OF 12 PER DAY. THESE INCLUDE HOMICIDE BOMBINGS, PENETRATION OF ISRAELI TOWNS BY GUNMEN, ROADSIDE SHOOTINGS, GRENADE AND ANTI-TANK MISSILE ATTACKS, MORTAR SHELLINGS, ROCKET ATTACKS, ASSAULTS AND STABBINGS. THIS IS NOT TO MENTION THE HEZBULLAH ARMS BOAT INTERCEPTED EN ROUTE TO GAZA. EVEN WITH THE HUDNA, TERRORIST ATTACKS ARE STILL A ROUTINE EXPERIENCE.

HUDNA IS BEING USED TO GIVE FIGHTERS A SUMMER VACATION WHILE THEY REST, RE-ARM, RECRUIT AND RECOVER FROM THE DEVASTATING BLOWS THAT HAVE BEEN INFECTED ON THEM BY ISRAEL. ISRAELI INTELLIGENCE REPORTS THAT 1000 KASSAN ROCKETS ARE CURRENTLY BEING BUILT WITH MATERIALS SMUGGLED THROUGH TUNNELS CONNECTING THE GAZA STRIP TO EGYPT. SINCE THE ALLEGED CEASEFIRE WAS DECLARED THERE HAVE BEEN 85 ROCKET ATTACKS FROM GAZA ALONE. COUNTING LAST WEEK'S SCORE, ISRAELI, NOT PALESTINIAN SECURITY PEOPLE, BLOCKED 12 WEST BANK HOMICIDE BOMB ATTEMPTS AND THE ISRAELIS, NOT THE PALESTINIANS, HAVE ARRESTED 29 TERRORISTS.

IN ONE OF THE MOST EGREGIOUS CASES, WE HAVE ALL HEARD OF THE ISRAELI TAXI DRIVER WHO WAS KIDNAPPED BY TERRORISTS AND HIDDEN IN A CELLAR IN RAMALLAH, A STONE'S THROW FROM ARAFAT'S QUARTERS. THE PALESTINIANS DID NOTHING TO FIND HIM. HE WAS FREED BY AN ISRAELI ATTACK ON THE BUILDING, WITHOUT A SINGLE PALESTINIAN FINGER LIFTED TO FIND AND FREE HIM. AND EVERY DAY WE READ ABOUT MORE TERRORIST ACTIVITIES, STABBINGS, ROADSIDE SHOOTINGS, AND, INDEED, HOMICIDE BOMBINGS. NOTHING HAS CHANGED, ONLY THE ARAB STRATEGY, WHICH IS NOW NOT AS FLAMBOYANT, BUT JUST AS DEADLY.

AND IN AN ABSOLUTE ABJECT REJECTION OF THE CORNERSTONE PRINCIPLE OF THE ROAD MAP, TO WHICH HE SAID HE AGREED, ABBAS HAS REFUSED TO DISMANTLE THE TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS. LAST WEEK IN CAIRO HE SAID "CRACKING DOWN ON HAMMAS, JIHAD, AND THE PALESTINIAN ORGANIZATIONS IS NOT AN OPTION AT ALL." HE WENT ON TO REMIND HIS AUDIENCE THAT IF HE WERE TO ATTEMPT TO DISMANTLE AND DESTROY AND DISARM THE EXTREMISTS, IT WOULD LEAD TO A PALESTINE CIVIL WAR.

AND, YES, THAT IS PROBABLY WHAT IT WILL TAKE, RATHER THAN FORCING THE ISRAELIS TO DO THE JOB FOR THEM. THE PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, UNDER THE HALLUCINEGENIC NAIVETÉ OF ISRAEL'S THEN LEADERS, WHO ARE THE AUTHORS OF THE OSLO FIASCO/DISASTER, WAS PERMITTED TO ARM 30,000 PALESTINIANS WITH ISRAELI ORDINANCE IN ORDER TO FORCE PALESTINIAN TERRORISTS TO KEEP THE PEACE. A CRUEL HOAX. THOSE GUNS WERE TURNED ON THE ISRAELIS, AND THOSE PALESTINIAN POLICEMEN BECAME THE HOMICIDE BOMBERS AND TERRORISTS.

YET ISRAEL IS ABOUT TO DO IT AGAIN. THERE ARE MORE THAN 20,000 PALESTINIAN ARMED POLICEMEN IN GAZA ALONE WHO ARE ENTIRELY CAPABLE OF WIPING OUT HAMAS AND JIHAD, BUT THEY WILL NOT, AND THAT IS WHY THE ROAD MAP HAS BECOME A FARCE IN PHASE I. IT APPEARS THAT THE PALESTINIANS WANT A PEACE PROCESS, BUT NOT PEACE ITSELF. THIS IS NOTHING BUT A REPLAY OF THE ILL-CONCEIVED OSLO PROCESS.

ALTHOUGH IT DOES NOT ARISE UNTIL THE SECOND PHASE, IF WE EVER GET THERE, THE ROAD MAP IS FLAWED FURTHER BY ITS REFERENCE TO THE BORDER SITUATION FOR THE PALESTINIANS BEING TIED TO UNITED NATIONS RESOLUTION 242. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THAT RESOLUTION PROVIDES, BUT THE PALESTINIAN, ARAB WORLD AND THEIR SUPPLICANTS DEMAND AN INTERPRETATION WHICH STRAINS THE IMAGINATION.

RESOLUTION 242 PROVIDES THAT ISRAEL WILL WITHDRAW FROM TERRITORIES OCCUPIED BY IT IN THE 1967 WAR, BUT CONSISTENT WITH PEACE AND MILITARILY DEFENSIBLE AND SECURE BORDERS. IT DOES NOT SAY "ALL THE TERRITORIES", OR EVEN "THE TERRITORIES". IT JUST SAYS "TERRITORIES". THIS WAS HOTLY DEBATED AT THE UNITED NATIONS WHEN IT WAS ENACTED, BECAUSE BETWEEN THE ARAB AND THE RUSSIANS, THERE WAS AN ATTEMPT TO FORCE ISRAEL TO WITHDRAW FROM EVERY SQUARE INCH OF TERRITORY IT HAD CAPTURED IN THE WAR AGAINST IT OF 1967. ISRAEL AGREED TO GIVE BACK "SOME TERRITORY" AND NOTHING MORE. IT GAVE BACK ALL OF THE SINAI TO EGYPT, AND THAT CONSTITUTED 92% OF "ALL THE TERRITORIES". ONE CAN ARGUE THAT THAT IS QUITE ENOUGH.

AS FOR BRINGING AN END TO INCITEMENT, ONE NEED ONLY LISTEN TO THE PALESTINIAN MOSQUES OR READ OR LISTEN TO THE PALESTINIAN MEDIA, OR WATCH ITS TELEVISION, OR LISTEN TO THEIR POLITICIANS, OR GLANCE AT THEIR SCHOOL TEXTBOOKS TO REALIZE THAT INCITEMENT TO HATRED AND CELEBRATION OF KILLINGS REMAINS AT BEYOND INTOLERABLE LEVELS.

ISRAEL IS NOW ENTITLED TO CALL A HALT TO ITS OBLIGATIONS UNDER THE ROAD MAP, BASED ON PALESTINIAN NON-COMPLIANCE - AND IT SHOULD DO EXACTLY THAT.

BUT, OF COURSE, IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WHAT PRESIDENT BUSH WANTS, HEADING INTO AN ELECTION YEAR. SO, PERHAPS ISRAEL WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE PLAYING THE GAME UNTIL PRESIDENT BUSH FINALLY REALIZES THAT HE HAS BEEN SNOOKERED AND IS ABLE TO THROW UP HIS HANDS AND SAY "WELL, WE DID OUR BEST, WE TRIED, BUT THE TWO SIDES ARE IRRECONCILABLE AND THEY MUST OBVIOUSLY GO AT IT UNTIL SOMEONE WINS AND SOMEONE LOSES."

IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE THAT ALL OF THE PARTIES ARE JUST "ACTING OUT" AND ADJOURNING THE WAR TO A "MORE CONVENIENT TIME."

WHAT SHOULD ISRAEL DO

ISRAEL HAS ALREADY PAID WITH 1000 DEAD CITIZENS AND 5000 MAIMED AND WOUNDED FOR THE FAILURE OF THE OSLO PROCESS. IT CANNOT AFFORD TO REPEAT THAT MISTAKE. THUS, ISRAEL SHOULD NOT AGREE TO RELEASE PALESTINIAN PRISONERS WHO ARE CONNECTED TO TERRORISM. OBJECTIVE DATA INDICATES THAT ONE OUT OF EVERY TWO THAT WERE RELEASED DURING THE OSLO PROCESS COMES BACK AS A TERRORIST, INCLUDING MOHAMMED ATTA, WHO WAS RELEASED AT PRESIDENT CLINTON'S INSISTENCE, ONLY TO IMMIGRATE TO THE UNITED STATES BY WAY OF CRASHING HIS AIRPLANE INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTRE ON 9/11.

ISRAEL MUST CONTINUE TO BUILD ITS SECURITY FENCE TO KEEP THE TERRORISTS OF THE FUTURE OUT. GOOD FENCES DO MAKE GOOD NEIGHBOURS. THE EXAMPLE OF THE PHYSICAL SEPARATION OF THE GREEKS AND TURKS ON CYPRUS, WHERE PEACE HAS REIGNED FOR 50 YEARS BECAUSE OF THAT SEPARATION, PROVIDES THE PROOF OF THE VALUE OF THE SEPARATION FENCE. BUT ISRAEL SHOULD NOT ACCEPT THE FENCE AS ITS FINAL BORDER WITH WHATEVER PALESTINIAN ENTITY EMERGES AND THEREFORE ISRAELI TROOPS SHOULD BE STATIONED ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE UNTIL A FINAL RESOLUTION HAS BEEN MUTUALLY AGREED UPON.

ISRAEL SHOULD ALSO PUT FORWARD A PLAN AND BEGIN INSISTING OF THAT PLAN SAYING THAT SINCE THERE ARE 1,200,000 ARABS LIVING IN THE ISRAELI STATE, AT LEAST THAT NUMBER OF JEWS OUGHT TO BE PERMITTED TO LIVE IN WHATEVER PALESTINIAN STATE EMERGES. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR RATIONALE IN DISMANTLING JEWISH SETTLEMENT TOWNS AND CITIES, EVEN IF THEY ARE ULTIMATELY LOCATED IN THE PALESTINIAN STATE.

AND ISRAEL SHOULD RENOUNCE THE EXHORTATIONS BY EXTERNAL PARTIES THAT IT SHOULD PROP UP ABBAS IN THE HOPE THAT HE WILL DELIVER. THIS IS THE SAME TRAP THEY FELL INTO WITH OSLO IN PROPPING UP ARAFAT TO ENABLE HIM TO DELIVER THAT WHICH HE HAD NO INTENTION OF DELIVERING, AS WELL AS NO ABILITY TO DELIVER AS MR. ABBAS HAS ALREADY CONFIRMED WITH REGARD TO BREAKING UP THE TERRORIST STRUCTURES.

WHAT CAN ISRAEL'S CANADIAN SUPPORTERS DO

CAN CANADIANS PLAY ANY ROLE IN THIS INTERNATIONAL AND INTERMINABLE CONFLICT? WHAT WE CAN DO IS DEMAND AN END TO THE DISHONEST REPORTING BY OUR MEDIA. THE REFUSAL OF THE CBC TO CALL A TERRORIST A TERRORIST, THE TAKEN-AS-GIVEN THAT THERE IS A "CYCLE OF VIOLENCE", WHEN THERE IS NO SUCH THING, AND THE CALL FOR ONLY "PROPORTIONATE RESPONSE" TO TERRORIST ACTIVITIES IS NOTHING SHORT OF ODIOUS. THE MEDIA REPORTING ON THE RELEASE OF PRISONERS IS DISHONEST UNLESS IT CLEARLY STATES THAT THIS DEMAND WAS NOT A CONDITION OF THE ROAD MAP AND IS THEREFORE A NON ISSUE, AS IS THE SO-CALLED ISSUE OF THE SECURITY FENCE.

WE AND OUR CHRISTIAN ZIONIST FRIENDS CAN ENSURE THAT THE CANADIAN PUBLIC AND OUR POLITICIANS KNOW THE FACTS, THE HISTORY AND CAN RECOGNIZE THE MYRIAD OF MYTHS SPUN BY PALESTINIAN PROPAGANDISTS AND THEIR COMPLIANT MEDIA MOUTHPIECES. WE CAN EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN AND OUR FRIENDS AS TO WHICH ARE THE MYTHS AND WHAT ARE THE FACTS OF THIS CONFLICT, SO THAT THEY, LIKE ALL REASONABLE SUPPORTERS OF ISRAEL, CAN BECOME AMBASSADORS ON ITS BEHALF.

AND WHAT CAN CANADA DO

FIRSTLY, YOU MAY ASK WHO CARES WHAT CANADA DOES. WE ARE A SMALL COUNTRY, NOT A MILITARY PRESENCE, AND A BIT PLAYER ON THE INTERNATIONAL STAGE. BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE. CANADA IS SEEN AS A RATIONAL, HUMAN RIGHTS ORIENTED COUNTRY, NEUTRAL IN THE INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL COMPETITION FOR OIL, TRADE OR CULTURAL IMPERIALISM. OUR CREDIBILITY WITH THE UNITED STATES, THE EUROPEAN UNION, AND THE UNITED NATIONS IS GREATER THAN OUR NUMBERS WOULD SUGGEST, GIVEN OUR SIGNIFICANT PRESTIGE IN THE ADVANCEMENT OF HUMAN RIGHTS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. THEREFORE, CANADA HAS AN INFLUENTIAL ROLE TO PLAY.

WE ARE ABOUT TO ELECT A NEW PRIME MINISTER AND WE ARE ENTITLED TO CALL FOR A COMPLETE REVIEW OF CANADA'S FOREIGN POLICY, AND NOWHERE CAN WE BE MORE EFFECTIVE IN DEALING WITH THE POSITION OF CANADA VIS A VIS ISRAEL AS AT THE UN, WHERE OUR VOTING RECORD IS UNACCEPTABLE.

WE MUST DEMAND THAT OUR GOVERNMENT'S CRTC AGENCY REFUSE TO LICENSE THE BROADCAST OF AN ARAB GOVERNMENT-OWNED, ANTI-ISRAEL, ANTI-SEMITIC TELEVISION STATION, AL JAZEERA ON OUR REGULATED BROADCAST SYSTEM. BUT IF IN THE NAME OF FREE SPEECH IT SHOULD BE LICENSED THEN THE LAW SHOULD BE STRENGTHENED TO ENSURE THAT THE CABLE AND SATELLITE COMPANIES WHICH CARRY IT, ARE PERSONALLY LIABLE FOR ANY HATE INCITEMENT THEY BROADCAST OR ANY DEFAMATION THEY PUBLISH.

WE MUST ASK OUR COUNTRY AS THE CHAIR OF THE MADRID CONFERENCE ON MIDDLE EAST REFUGEES, TO PUT ON THE TABLE AND NOT PERMIT IT TO BE REMOVED, THE COMPENSATION FOR THE JEWISH REFUGEES FROM ARAB LANDS, AND NOT ALLOW THE WORD "REFUGEES" TO APPLY ONLY TO PALESTINIAN REFUGEES, BUT TO THE JEWISH REFUGEES AS WELL.

AND FINALLY, WE MUST ASK THAT CANADA DEMAND THAT THE UNITED NATIONS TREAT ISRAEL AS A FULL FLEDGED MEMBER OF THE UN, TO BE, LIKE EVERY OTHER NATION, NOT A PARIAH NATION, BUT ONE ADMITTED TO THE MAINSTREAM OF ALL ASPECTS OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS AT THE UNITED NATIONS.

THIS IS VERY LITTLE TO ASK, BUT WOULD BE MUCH TO RECEIVE.

CONCLUSION

I'M SORRY I CAN'T DELIVER A MORE OPTIMISTIC MESSAGE TONIGHT, BUT IN A 100 YEARS WAR, IT IS DIFFICULT TO BE OPTIMISTIC. IF AND WHEN THE ROAD MAP FAILS, WHETHER IT IS IN PHASE I OR AFTER PHASE III, WHEN THE TRUE INTENSIONS OF THE PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP ARE LAID BARE FOR ALL TO SEE, AND IT IS PROVEN THAT THIS IS A ROAD MAP TO HELL, TO WARFARE, STILL, ALL IS NOT LOST. THERE IS ANOTHER REASONABLE AND PEACEFUL SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM. REGRETTABLY, TONIGHT, TIME DOES NOT PERMIT ME TO LAY OUT A JABOTINSKY-INSPIRED APPROACH. BUT, PERHAPS, AT ANOTHER TIME, I WILL HAVE ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO POSTULATE WHAT I THINK WOULD WORK TO ACHIEVE EQUITABLE ENDS FOR JEWS AND ARABS ALIKE.

IN THE MEANTIME, I APPRECIATE YOUR ATTENTION TO MY ASSESSMENT OF WHERE WE ARE AT. AND I LEAVE YOU TO FERVENTLY HOPE, AS I DO, THAT THE SEA CHANGE IN THE ARAB LEADERSHIP AND ITS CULTURE AND OBJECTIVES, OF WHICH I SPOKE TONIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF MY REMARKS, ACTUALLY EVENTUALLY OCCURS AND A TRUE AND PERMANENT PEACE EMERGES FROM THAT CHANGE.

THANK YOU.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.