1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

renewables not the solution

1. watso

20,400 Posts.

apologies if it has been mentioned previously.

the south australia premier is going to have a royal commision into the use of nuclear power. this was announced a week or two ago - and it was obvious at the time of the announcement, was that the south australian premier wants nuclear power . more recently bolt has written a few columns on the matter.

for all the windfarms that south australia may have, the stark reality is that baseload power is always required. the south australian premier is virtually saying that wind farms (or solar) are a waste of time.

one thing for sure, is that when a nuclear power plant is built - it will be working 24 hours per day, every day of the year - with no allowance for closing down the generators for when the sun is shining, or when the wind is blowing.

funny - but the anti nuclear people, would now be the climate alarmists .... just doom doom doom people... anyway, from bolts blog:

Last December, two warmist professors, Tasmania University’s Barry Brook and Adelaide University’s Corey Bradshaw, warned that wind or solar power were simply too expensive and unreliable to save us.

No, they said in an open letter signed by 75 equally green experts: “Nuclear power ... must be deployed to replace the burning of fossil fuels, if we are to have any chance of mitigating severe climate change.”

Many of global warming’s greatest gurus have now gone nuclear, too.
    Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, who keeps predicting warming will kill the Great Barrier Reef, announced last year that he’d “definitely changed my position” on nuclear power, which for “too long ... has been the butt of scaremongering”.
    In fact, “nuclear power can provide low-cost, carbon-free electricity improving the lives of billions of people”.

James Lovelock, inventor of the “Gaia” principle, likewise urged “my friends in the movement to drop their wrongheaded objection to nuclear energy”.

Leading popularisers of the warming panic such as James Hansen, George Monbiot and Mark Lynas have made the same switch.

So who could be against nuclear now? Against the science? Against the planet?

nothing wrong with nuclear, and if global warming scaremongers now embrace nuclear, then who are the plebs to complain - this is a perfect WIN WIN .

watso does not remotely believe in the global warming rubbish, but hey, if alarmists think that nuclear is the solution, then so be it - because watso is 100% in favour of nuclear energy

oh - don't start any clap trap about thorium reactors as being the solution - that may well be the case down the road, but not now

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.