XJO 1.47% 7,275.6 s&p/asx 200

rba must curb inflation

1. 4,211 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 97
    RBA must curb inflation: Andrews
    The government would not be happy if the Reserve Bank of Australia's next decision on interest rates did not curb inflation, Employment and Workplace Relations Minister Kevin Andrews said.

Mr Andrews was asked if he agreed with Prime Minister John Howard's statement last week that "a stitch in time" could avoid a much bigger rate increase later.

Mr Howard - who later claimed he had not endorsed another rate rise - said the 3.9 per cent inflation figure released last week would give Reserve Bank governor Glenn Stevens justification for a rate rise.

"I think an interest rate rise is entirely possible, given inflation," Mr Howard told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

Mr Andrews avoided directly endorsing a rate rise but urged the Reserve Bank to take the necessary steps to curb inflation.

"I think in terms of whatever happens with interest rates - and that's a matter for the Reserve Bank - one thing we wouldn't be happy about subsequently is if there was some outbreak of inflation in Australia," Mr Andrews told the Ten Network.

"In terms of ordinary working Australians and their families, nothing is more corrosive than high inflation."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
Change
-108.600(1.47%)
Mkt cap ! n/a
Open High Low
7,384.2 7,384.2 7,275.6
XJO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.