president h. clinton?

1. 1,544 Posts.
    Rick Ackerman thinks so. I am very interested in his thoughts on George W though.
    Hillary's Opportunity
    by Rick Ackerman

I’m a day behind my good friends at The Daily Reckoning with this observation, but odds appear to be shortening each day that Hillary will take her shot in 2004 rather than four years later. Supposedly, New York’s junior senator has been running very shrewdly at 2008, having calculated a while back that she could not beat the still-popular incumbent. But even if the pollsters, Hillary herself and conservative publications such as The Wall Street Journal and National Review cannot yet see it coming, Mr. Bush’s support is about to ebb faster than the tide at Fundy’s Bay. My instincts are acute on this point, since until recently I considered myself an ardent Bush supporter as well as an unwavering conservative on nearly all issues but environmental. Now, although I’d still be inclined to back the President on domestic issues, I’m convinced that the U.S. is headed into epic trouble abroad – trouble that is bound to accelerate Mr. Bush’s downward slide in the polls.

Even for those who like the President personally, Afghanistan and Iraq must be starting to look like potential quagmires, Rummy’s reassurances notwithstanding. But what has soured me most on Mr. Bush is the way he scolded Israel recently for their hardball tactics in dealing with the terrorist group Hamas. The U.S. recently went to war mainly as a result of a single terror-attack on New York City; yet Mr. Bush has demanded restraint from an Israel whose people are under siege daily by an endless wave of suicide bombers. I won’t be the first diehard conservative to break ranks, but let me say it as forthrightly as I can: Mr. Bush is a hypocrite, his foreign policy is a disaster in the making, and his political capital is very nearly spent.

Dean on the Left

My guess is that Hillary will enter the race well after the Iowa caucus, and that her main opponent for the nomination will be Howard Dean, the former governor of Vermont. Dean so far has been running to the left of every candidate since Eugene McCarthy, and if he stays his course, his platform will come to resemble something fashioned from the dreams of Boxer, Dellums, Rangel, Waxman and the ghost of Norman Thomas. Consequently, many Democrats will champion him as a hero and a true “man of the people,” but when the time comes they will nominate Hillary, who has taken pains to position herself in the Senate as a centrist Democrat, even to the point of forsaking “feminist issues” for military ones.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.