1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Peter Dutton links Sydney terrorism

1. Maaze

30,411 Posts.
    Peter Dutton links Sydney terrorism suspect to Labor's migration policies
    Immigration minister says one suspect arrested on Wednesday may have arrived with false documentation in 2009, when borders were ‘fairly porous’
    Peter Dutton
    Peter Dutton says intelligence agencies were hampered by the number of boat arrivals. Photograph: Paul Miller/AAP
    Australian Associated Press
    Thursday 12 February 2015 08.19 AEST
    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Share on WhatsApp
    Shares
    Immigration minister Peter Dutton has asked for an urgent review following suggestions one of two Sydney terrorism suspects may have entered Australia with false documentation.
    Omar Al-Kutobi, 24, and Mohammad Kiad, 25, were allegedly about to kill or harm a member of the public with a knife as part of a terrorist attack but were arrested on Tuesday afternoon at a property in western Sydney.
    Dutton says he’s been advised one of the suspects might have flown to Australia with false documentation in 2009.
    Advertisement
    He said about 50,000 people also arrived on boats around that time, under the previous Labor government, hampering intelligence agencies’ ability to check every person thoroughly.
    “It is a difficult situation, particularly that period of time, for the intelligence agencies,” he told the Nine Network on Thursday.
    “I’ve asked for an urgent review, in relation to all the facts in relation to this case, so that we can learn lessons.”
    “Borders, at that stage, were fairly porous in Australia, with boats just coming every day.
    “If the system is being overwhelmed by tens of thousands of people coming by boat, it doesn’t matter if they come by boat or plane, it’s pretty hard for the security agencies to conduct the thorough searches they need to conduct.”
    The men appeared before Fairfield local court on Wednesday and didn’t apply for bail, which was formally refused.
    They were due to appear at central local court on Thursday via audio visual link.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...dney-terrorism-suspect-labor-migration-policy

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.