It amazes and alternately disgusts me that the word refugee is...

1. 14,827 Posts.
    It amazes and alternately disgusts me that the word refugee is misunderstood/misrepresented with the terms "asylum seeker" and "illegal immigrant". It is likely often due to laziness, as breathless reporters try to cram too much into their filings which are now done in realtime, rather than in an already frenzied once daily cycle.As or more often, the term refugee is used to invoke sympathy for an entire group of people, many of whom would be more accurately called an opportunist. This group includes well healed queue-jumpers and many prepared to say anything to propel a claim of well-founded fear of persecution.i have worked closely with a number of middle eastern assylum seekers who were put into community detention in my suburb by the second Rudd government, mainly from Iran.Some have started businesses, and others have stayed on full welfare support, often due to fear of cuts a rate of 50c in the dollar as their earned-income rises above $~100/week.Meanwhile millions of genuine refugees languish in camps adjacent to countries where armed conflict is happening, while claims for asylum are processed.Refugees welcome, at least up to a number approved in a referendum, but strict border protection is mandated to stop this deadly stampede.Skilled and family reunion immigration yes but again up to levels approved in a referendum. if LNP can articulate this they have a fighting chance of keeping ALP/Greens out of government.Scomo is good at communicating this.Praying for him daily.

I think the real question that needs to be asked is if  the general population is comfortable with mass migration from where ever. Of course we aren't allowed to articulate our "bigotted" thoughts for fear of a knock at the door by the authorities.  For the older people there is probably an inner dichotomous conflict with the notion of the old homogeneous culture of Britain, if not Europe and the essentially 2&1/2 and 3rd world influx. (Mao defined his idea of class struggle in his statement “In my view, the United States and the Soviet Union form the first world. Japan, Europe and Canada, the middle section, belong to the second world. We are the third world.” ) .

But we have a long history of "foreign" cultures coming into our backyard and most of them seem to blend in fairly well, except for Kiwis & capital P poms (e.g. Yugoslavs, Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Islanders, etc and the Chinese keep their heads down and prefer not to make a fuss.). I think the elephant in the room is the choice and inculcation of a sky fairy doctrine with it's lack of separation between its spiritual instruction and civil/legal obedience. Many people are scared that our culture and innate freedoms will be replaced by a primitive code that is overtly and demonstrably attached to miserable nations that might be even worse off if not for oil reserves and first/second world innovation.

We have to be honest about this stuff. There are many people who see refugees as carriers of social virus' and many people who identify themselves as 2nd and 3rd gen migrant victims who want to square the ledger by welcoming languishing people into the country so they can deliver them the feel good comfort they reckon they deserved instead of being called "wog" etc....those types probably become a Doctor, have second name of Luigi, join the Greens and become the party's leader over time .biggrin.png 

Last edited by DrStrangelove: 14/02/19

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.