1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

NSWelshmen and R/League - Shame on you....;)

1. Yak

13,672 posts.
    King Wally slams selectors
    By BARRY DICK
    09jul02

FORMER Australian captain Wally Lewis has described the Test selections as a "return to the bad old days," as anger boiled over in Queensland yesterday.

Lewis lead the chorus of outrage after the Maroons only got six players in the Australian team to play Great Britain on Friday.

It rounded out a bad day for the Queenslanders with Gorden Tallis missing out on the captaincy while Petero Civoniceva and Dane Carlaw were notable omissions from the side.

"It's a return to the bad old days when Queensland got stitched up all the time," said Lewis, who captained Australia 23 times, said.

"We're back to the pre-Ron McAuliffe days when the Queensland guys on the Australian selection panel would go in with solid claims and come out with nothing.

"This team is extraordinary and I am in complete disbelief over some of the selections."

Lewis questioned the selection of Jason Stevens.

"I heard they had picked him, I couldn't believe it," he said. "He looked to me (on Sunday) like a player coming back from injury, which is what he is."

Queensland chairman of selectors Gene Miles said: "We're back in the dark ages.

"I thought Petero (Civoniceva) and Dane (Carlaw) were certainties after the Origin series but the selectors have gone outside Origin to find two blokes from NSW."

The senior Queensland players in the Test squad, Gorden Tallis and Shane Webcke, both expressed their disappointment.

"Blokes like Shaun Berrigan who was a standout and Dane Carlaw who won us the series have got to be disappointed and Petero is entitled to be as well," Tallis said.

Webcke added: "It mystifies me why they're not here. In saying that the guys they have picked are wonderful players in good form."

Test coach Chris Anderson shrugged off the controversy by joking: "They're always upset the Queenslanders and it doesn't bother me too much if we upset them."

Les Geeves and Arthur Beetson were the Queensland representatives on the Test selection panel and both emerged from Sunday night's meeting bitterly disappointed.

Geeves said Queensland deserved at least eight players in the 17, particularly as the Origin series was touted as a Test selection trial.

He said he and Beetson had put up the names of 12 Queenslanders hoping to get a final representation of eight or nine.

"I said to Artie (Beetson) that the series may have been drawn but NSW got us in extra time in the selection room. That's where we lost the battle," Geeves said.

"It's probably the longest discussion I can remember on a Test team."

In an extra-ordinary development on Sunday ARL chairman Colin Love had to use his casting vote in the selection room twice.

It is understood he had to vote between Carlaw and Civoniceva or Jason Stevens and Willie Mason.

The vote went the way of the two NSW players who both had the support of Anderson.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.