1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
  1. Members, Techs apologise for the loss of thread titles, and are currently working on restoring them. They will be back asap. Thank you

No challenge to Ferny Grove result

1. Dave R

38,987 Posts.
    ABC Online...
    The election outcome in the Brisbane seat of Ferny Grove will not be challenged in court by the Liberal National Party (LNP).
    The party was caught off-guard by the Electoral Commission of Queensland's (ECQ) change of heart last Friday over referring the result to the Court of Disputed Returns.
    It came a day after the ECQ declared ALP candidate Mark Furner as the successful candidate in Ferny Grove by more than 400 votes, after preferences.
    The issue in Ferny Grove was the revelation that Palmer United Party candidate Mark Taverner was an undischarged bankrupt, invalidating his candidacy.
    The ECQ initially said it would seek the court's ruling on whether a by-election was warranted.
    Court unlikely to reject result, says Antony Green

The final result revealed Mr Taverner received 993 votes, with 353 of those "exhausted" with no further preferences for Labor, the LNP or Greens candidates.
    ABC election analyst Antony Green said if every one of these exhausted ballots had instead been votes for the LNP, Labor would still have won the seat by more than 100 votes.
    He said this meant it was more likely the court would reject the by-election option.
    As the ECQ declared results in the last of the state's 89 electorates, it also announced that based on further legal advice, it would not take the Ferny Grove result to court.
    In response, LNP state director Brad Henderson said last Friday the party would take its own advice on the matter.
    But Mr Henderson released a statement on Monday night saying the LNP was dropping the matter.
    "After considering advice, the LNP will not be referring the Ferny Grove election result to the Court of Disputed Returns," he said.
    -----------------------------------------
    Oh dear and after all the posts here from the LNP desperates saying the opposite.
    I told ya so.
    Dave R.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.