I once knew a guy who desperately wanted to fit into the social...

1. 16,597 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    I once knew a guy who desperately wanted to fit into the social circle of an extremely well educated, kind and vaguely eccentric barrister who was also well connected. There was one occasion when he used terms to describe asians that I can’t even repeat here because they were appalling. He was sundly told off and threatened with social exclusion

he then started to spout stuff that was completely different to anything that had ever come out of his mouth before. But he remained racist at heart. The barrister had the good sense to exclude him in due course.

What I understood from that and other events I observed was that sometimes people say things that are simply value signalling. Doesn’t mean they actually believe it. Sometimes they project onto others the evils in their own mind. Sometimes they accuse others of doing things they have done themselves. sometimes they are just down right bad tempered and they need a target and anyone will do. Or they target something or someone which becomes representative of something or someone who has hurt them in the past.

Maybe suggesting the ABC gardening is a bit off the mark for such people because there is no solution for them. They can’t be helped because their mechanism for survival is to make others to blame for the misery of their own fruitless life.

Sort of sad sad really isn’t it.

p

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.