1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

new vix old vix post quad witching tumble.

1. Lochend15M

1,427 Posts.

Pair of wild moves in the VIX with the CBOE restructuring of it to a S&P500 basis.

Note the spike on the New, S&P500 based, refigured VIX, Monday 22nd, to 23.9 , the mirror image of Friday's brief downspike in the old thinly based, now superceded OEX version VIX to 16.03. ( the old one becomes the VXO and can now be accessed on Stockcharts.com )

Expect this pair of moves relates to the reconfiguration and results from professionals swapping heavily out of the options basis of the old one Friday, therefore dropping option demand there, and the old VIX with it to 16, then entering with a surge of demand into underlying S&P500 options related to the new VIX basis today Monday 22nd, once the code was reallocated , in a rush, forcing the New VIX price briefly up to 23.9

These are likely one off restructuring rarities and importantly DID NOT persist, to close.

Apart from this, a large decompensating move occurred downward in US markets Monday, after eight days of bouyancy, and dare I suggest gentle ramping into the Friday's quad witching to the chagrin of the shorts.

NCP's ADR, NWS fell in the States as would be expected, showing as 45cents on Bigcharts.com

Regards.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.