1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Need advise from the more mature and experienced

1. Ka$hmira

3,952 Posts.

Was hoping for some advise from those with more experience.

I personally have been involved in the stock market for quite a number of years - since the age of 18. I am 27 now and I have learnt from my mistakes. I never saturated myself over the years with economics, but over the last couple years I have taken a greater interest as my portfolio builds. I personally learnt to change my investment style from a small-cap focus towards companies that have made money (and with larger market caps) and I try to get in companies with dividends.

I lost quite a lot of money in small caps when I was young, so it was a lot of money for me at the time. Instead of going overseas with mates, I thought I would be smart and invest it. Quite funny considering all the stocks are worth almost ZERO haha (these included CFU,OEL, SBM and some other ones). I have always loved equities since a young boy. In addition, I never had the funds or job security to jump into property so it offered me a chance to get involved without having to take out big morgages.

I have learnt a lot but still consider myself to be a rookie compared to many/if not all on HC. I have finally made back my losses over the years. I am up about overall on my portfolio at 12.25%.

My question is, is it appropriate to get advise whilst learning on the job? And if so, can anybody recommend perhaps a newsletter they hold highly? Or any financial services that are tailored towards small time guys like myself? (100Kish portfolio including cash).

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.