1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

National issue

1. moorookamick

6,773 Posts.
    Due to reduced revenues from Iron Ore impacting on both State
    and Commonwealth Government more than on the bottom line of Rio, BHP & FMG
    (these companies are partially compensating for the drop in price of IO by pumping out more product)
    the Commonwealt and the WA Governments should review their taxing /royalty arrangements with these companies.

The reason for the drop in IO prices is partially due to these majors deciding to increase production by more
    than the lift in demand leaving the Commonwealth and the WA Governments as non-contributing loosers.
    The obvious Government solution would be to tie tax/royalties to volume and not to profit.

The ATO found in 2009 that 68 out of Australia's top companies had offices in tax havens and anonymous
    overseas bank accounts. So out Governments' jurisdictions that are confined to our borders should simply
    tax on volume and not price which is capable of transfer pricing shenannigans.

The Abbott Government should not have removed the MRRT without having an influence on production
    caps. Perhaps Malcolm Turnbull when he becomes PM can address this issue?
    Moorookamick

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.