LYC 0.00% $2.60 lynas corporation limited

You miss a very critical point. Reluctance motors were only...

1. 2,195 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 181

You miss a very critical point. Reluctance motors were only used with 3 phase AC power in a synchronous design until a few years ago. They are now used with complex controllers and have great performance because they can be driven with complex waveforms precisely timed by shaft position encoders. There is absolutely no way this would be used for even a 5 KW motor never mind a 100~ 200 Watt E Window or E seat motor. A motor where most of the cost is in electronics does not make sense. The controller cost will come down but not fast enough to see fractional HP motors with complex controllers. My guess if PMs became that hard to get we would see a return to straight DC brush motors with no PMS. Or maybe a single phase AC power supply in the car with induction motors like you find in most home appliances. Also if it could be used would it not also be used in the pure ice application. Regardless of primary voltage. Makes no sense to say 48 volt primary electric system would cause this change for only 48 volt but not 12volt vehicles. If it is the right choice for one it is the correct choice for the other. Many exceptions as you go up in KW size. For my Masters I worked on a voltage upgrade projects for ice vehicles in 1970s It made sense then still does. The savings in weight is substantial. It enables many features. It increases efficiency in many areas. At that time US and Japan wanted 36 volts for political reasons. EU wanted 48 volts because it was better and I agree. Both parties became very set in their opinion and we ended up with nothing, after 3 + years. Going from 6 to 12 volts was easy it was a US only decision. In fact each manufacture made their own decision. I am happy that EU has decided to go to 48 volts. Others will follow. You like AUS should unlink a 48 volt primary electric system from MH.

So stop all the avoidance tactics. Say in a 12 volts system this ( name motor IE PS,PW, Starter. Colling fan, Heat and AC fan) motor would be a simple PM design like this. In a 48 volt system they would use this type of motor with much less PM. You have never done this I don’t think you can. Instead you talk about what works for traction motors and avoid the question. If you really believe 48 volts replacing 12 volts will decrease PM usage you should be able to say for example this motor will be replaced by this because.

Just for record after the WAR the US copied their safety system and gave it to Japan. This safety system had less than 40 volts as a safe voltage that did not have to meet many requirements. over 40 had to meet all the requirements of much higher voltages like 120 /240 volts AC. That is why US and Japan manufactures wanted 36 volts. Today there are many layers of safety requirements for all voltages and currents. The EU Canada Japan and China now have very similar standards for ease of international trade. Companies are much more interested in being certified by external testing agencies. 36, 48 or even 72 is no longer a big deal. After all this time I would prefer to see 72, but I know it will not happen so I will drop it.

Lights use to be an area with large advantages for 48 volts in a car. LEDs has eliminated some of this but not all and there are still many others.

Family got in way never finished my masters.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.60
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $1.807B
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.61 $2.66 $2.58 $12.76M 4.871M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
21 442221 $2.60

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.62 10000 1
View Market Depth
Last update - 16.10pm 20/09/2019 (20 minute delay) ?
(live)
Last
$2.63
  Change
0.000 ( 1.17 %)
Open High Low Volume
$2.61 $2.65 $2.59 1850169
Last updated 15.59pm 20/09/2019 (live) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.