'Magic Bullet' carbon solution takes big step

1. 5,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 12
    Except for a major problem.

It might capture a few thousand tonnes of CO2 but we need to scale up to a few million tonnes asap.

If we don't scale up in the next 2 decades it will be game over as positive feedback loops won't be able to be controlled.

For example a positive feedback process can cause many millions of tonnes of methane to be released from thawing permafrost------ undoing anything we attempt regarding CO2 capture.

Last edited by RedCedar: 04/04/19
  2. 2,309 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    "It might capture a few thousand tonnes of CO2 but we need to scale up to a few million tonnes asap."

Isn't that the same argument with renewables and batteries?

It's all well and good that countries like Australia, NZ, Canada, Scandinavia, and a couple of others are committing to reducing carbon emissions but my beef is that the undeveloped world is not. That's where the the vast majority of people in the world are, and that's where the global population growth will come from hence making the commitments of Australia and a few others negligent.

In the article I posted above I find the arguments from some of the climate campaigners alarming. One of the guys says its 'hugely concerning' and 'false hope'. Shouldn't they be jumping up and down giving everyone a high five that technological breakthroughs are being made to reduce carbon emissions? Isn't that what its about?

GET SUPPORT arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.