lucky he wasn't shot!

  1. 413 Posts.
    Nov. 22, 2004 22:26 | Updated Nov. 22, 2004 22:52
    Ramallah lynch perpetrator sentenced to life

    Azziz Mustafa Salha, 23, one of the Palestinians involved in the Ramallah lynching of two reservists on October 12, 2000, and whose photo, holding up his hands stained with the blood of the two soldiers to the mob standing outside the police station was shown worldwide, was sentenced to life in the Judea Military Court on Sunday.

    Reservist Sgt.-Maj. Yosef Avrahami and Corporal Vadim Novesche accidentally strayed into Ramallah after making a wrong turn on the way to their army base.

    They were forced out of their vehicle and taken to the local police station, where an angry mob forced their way into the headquarters and, together with PA security officials, attacked and beat them to death. Scores of people participated in the lynch which was broadcasted in grisly detail around the world.

    Novesche was thrown out of a second-story window to the mob below and later, Salha stood at the window and proudly showed the crowd his hands covered with the reservists' blood.

    According to the charge sheet released by the army on Monday, Salha arrived at the police station and spotted Novesche lying on the ground with a knife protruding out of his back.

    He grabbed the knife and stabbed the Israeli to death while holding him in a stranglehold. He then went inside the station and stood at the second floor window showing off his bloodstained hands to the crowd.

    Several photographers were beaten by PA officers that day by Palestinians for filming the scene and their cameras and films were destroyed.

    The lynchings marked a tactical and emotional turning point in the conflict with the Palestinians for the IDF and many Israelis, who witnessed TV footage of the first Israelis to be murdered for simply entering Palestinian- controlled areas. The killings outraged the country and the government promised to track down the killers. The GSS and the IDF used the video footage of the lynching to identify the suspects. Following the lynchings, the IAF bombed Palestinian Police headquarters.

    Earlier this month the same military court sentenced Jihad A-Karim Azziz Rom, 26, of Ramallah to life and an additional 20 years for participating in the lynch.

    Also on Sunday, the same court sentenced Rahm Abu Malouh, the former deputy secretary general of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine to seven years and an additional two-year suspended sentence for belonging to an illegal organization.

    Last Thursday the Judea military court sentenced Basel Arif, to two consecutive life sentences for the murder of Albert Maloul near Ofra on May 2002. Arif shot at Maloul's vehicle killing him and seriously wounding another passenger.

    Arif was also involved in numerous shooting attacks against security forces and Israeli civilians in the Ramallah area.

    In the morning, soldiers of the Nahshon Battalion arrested two senior Fatah fugitives during a routine operation in Tulkarm. The two were handed over to the Israel Security Agency (ISA) for questioning.

    At a checkpoint south of Nablus, reservists arrested a senior member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

    Elsewhere in the West Bank, security forces arrested seven fugitives in raids in Ramallah, Beit Ur A Tah Tah west of Ramallah, Hawara south of Nablus and Nablus.

    In the Gaza Strip, a mortar was fired at an Israeli settlement in southern Gaza , no one was wounded in the attack. Shots were fired at an IDF post near Kfar Darom in southern Gaza.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.