1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

LSG/RSG/RBK/GGN/SPX

1. "As the Obotan mine nears exhaustion (due to finish up in December), Resolute has made a few strategic investments in fellow Aussie resources companies which also have promising African assets. During the year Resolute took up major shareholdings in Gallery Gold [ASX:GGN] (11.2 per cent), Spinifex Gold [ASX:SPX] (7.5 per cent) and Red Back Mining [ASX:RBK] (4.5 per cent) at a cost of A$7 million. These juniors have the Mupane, Buckreef/Rwamagaza and Chirano projects in Botswana, Tanzania and Ghana respectively. In addition, Resolute is currently earning 51 per cent in Spinifex's Nyakafuru project.

It's not out of the question that Resolute might rally the troops at some stage in the short term to consider the potential benefits of a possible four-way merger with a view to becoming a substantial perhaps 400,000-500,000oz per annum gold player in Africa.

"The company will continue to examine ways to increase the value of these positions," said Resolute CEO Peter Sullivan.

The X-Factor in the possible four-way merger will be Lion Selection Group (LSG), which has 55% of Gallery Gold (GGN), 26% of Spinifex (SPX) and 17% of Red Back(RBK).

There is no doubt that Resolute is seen by Lion Selection as the vehicle of choice for the extraction of maximum value of its Africa assets. Macquarie (who is the only other subst. shareholder) is more interested in a fast buck.

This story should start to unravel by the end of this year/ beggining of '03. I believe it will start with a takeover bid for RBK by RSG.

I hold LSG

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.