1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Labor does not control the Senate

1. eagle888

35,720 Posts.
    I keep hearing from the Coalition that Labor is blocking everything in the Senate.

The reality is that the Coalition has more seats in the Senate than Labor and it is the Coalitions inability to convince the minor parties and independents to support some of its legislation that is the problem. They got that support to drop the carbon and mining tax but failed to get support for areas which are repressive on Australian families and which involved a breach of trust through broken promises. Abbott's line in in Opposition was that they were just that, an Opposition, and it was up to the government to deliver not them. Now that the Coalition IS in Government the tune has changed and he expects the Opposition to support him in everything lol.

The Coalition holds 33 seats in the Senate to Labors 25. The remaining 18 seats are held by minor parties and independents. Even though they are different parties and dont always agree with each other, if we add the Greens 10 seats to the Labor total the Coalition could still get a majority in the Senate if it could convince enough of the other 8 non aligned Senators to vote for the Governments legislation.

The truth on the Senate issue is that the broken promises and repressive and unfair nature of the governments budget measures have caused a majority of Senators to rightly reject them. The polls confirm the measures are not supported by a majority of voters and they would be grateful for the actions of all Senators who prevented the legislation from passing.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.