ASX 1.87% $66.42 asx limited

kkr in trouble possible cause of todays fall

1. 11,108 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 616
    The below was emailed to me by my broker to explain today's market downturn, basically to get clients not to panic sell I suppose. Report is from the Financial Times

KKR arm in restructuring talks after repayment delay
    By James Mackintosh in London
    Published: February 20 2008 02:00 | Last updated: February 20 2008 02:00

KKR Financial Holdings, the listed affiliate of the private equity group, has delayed repayment of billions of dollars of commercial paper for the second time and begun a new round of restructuring talks with creditors less than six months after a rescue rights issue.

In a regulatory filing yesterday, KKR Financial Holdings (KFN) said it had begun talks with creditors and deferred repayment of a chunk of debt due last Friday. The move is a further embarrassment for KKR, following a $270m bail-out of the leveraged investment vehicle last September, which saw founders Henry Kravis and George Roberts personally inject cash.

KFN is a leveraged investment vehicle that had borrowed in the commercial paper markets to invest in home loans, particularly the "Alt-A" loans seen as riskier than mainstream borrowers but safer than subprime loans. Like other mortgage-backed securities, Alt-A loans have been
    hard-hit by the credit squeeze and US house price falls.
    Last week, Standard & Poor's, the credit rating agency, downgraded KKR Pacific, one of the two funding vehicles for KFN, by two notches to A-3 because of falls in the value of the mortgages.

KFN is one of many borrowers hit by the seizing-up of the asset-backed commercial paper market. But, unlike most similar borrowers, KFN used extendible commercial paper known as secured liquidity notes, which allowed it last October to defer payment of half its borrowings to
    February 15 and the rest to March 13.

Yesterday, KFN put off February repayments until March 3, but warned that most investors had the right to demand their money back with one day's written notice.

COMPANIES FINANCIAL SERVICES
    name
    PAubthliosrh
    date
    Cost
    SEARCH Enter keywords
    Jobs Business for sale Contracts & tenders
    FT.com / Companies / Financial services - KKR arm in restructuring talks after repayment delay Page 1 of 3
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0eb0928c-df55-11dc-91d4-0000779fd2ac.html

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ASX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$66.42
Change
1.220(1.87%)
Mkt cap ! $12.87B
Open High Low Value Volume
$65.75 $66.66 $65.43 $24.42M 368.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1134 $66.39

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$66.47 80 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$66.56
  Change
1.220 ( 2.19 %)
Open High Low Volume
$65.59 $66.66 $65.48 92425
Last updated 15.59pm 28/03/2024 ?
ASX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.