Joe Biden really, really doesn’t want to talk about his son’s shady overseas dealings

1. 4,948 Posts.
    Quid Pro Joe is adopting a very risky strategy

Former Vice President Joe Biden really does not want to talk about his son, Hunter.

The 2020 Democratic front-runner wants so badly to avoid the topic, in fact, that he has adopted a hyper-aggressive approach to rebuffing reporters who dare question him about it, either shouting them down, bristling with contempt, or berating them with mockery.

The “Today” show’s Savannah Guthrie, for example, pressed Biden in an interview that aired Monday whether there is some irony to President Trump playing up the fact that Hunter landed a high-paying job at a Ukrainian energy company that benefited directly from the former vice president’s diplomatic efforts during the Obama era.

“It’s a good thing that no one’s found anything wrong with his dealing with Ukraine except they say it sets a bad image,” responded Biden.

Guthrie continued, asking whether it was “wrong” for Hunter to accept a seat on the board of Burisma Holdings “because the company wanted access to you.”

“That’s not true. You’re saying things you do not know what you’re talking about,” an immediately bristling Biden shot back. “No one has said that — who said that?”

“Don’t you think that it’s one of those things people think, ‘Well that seems kind of sleazy, why would he have that job if not for who his father is?’” Guthrie asked.

“Well, he said he regretted having done it. Speak for yourself. He’s a grown man,” the former vice president retorted.

Earlier, in October 2019, Biden snapped at CBS News reporter Bo Erickson, who asked whether Hunter’s role at Burisma represented a conflict of interest.

“I’m not going to respond to that!” Biden barked, adding of President Trump, “Focus on this man. What he’s doing that no president has ever done. No president.”

In September 2019, Fox News’ Peter Doocy also asked the former vice president, “how many times have you ever spoken to your son about his overseas business dealings?”

“I have never spoken to my son about his overseas business dealings,” Biden stated flatly.

Doocy tried to follow up, prompting the 2020 candidate to cut him off, saying, “And here’s what I know: I know Trump deserves to be investigated. … You should be asking him the question ... Everybody looked at [Burisma], and everybody’s looked at it and said there’s nothing there. Ask the right questions!”

It may not be pretty, but it is a clever strategy!

Biden cannot forever shrug off questions about how his son managed to land a plum gig at a Ukrainian energy company that sought access to the White House.

Remember what happened to failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton when she got cute with reporters when they asked her about the FBI's investigation of her handling of classified information when she served as secretary of state. Her jokey manner only invited further scrutiny and questions from an increasingly frustrated and bewildered press.

Biden also cannot simply explain away the Hunter situation, given that it does indeed appear to be as swampy and sleazy as it sounds.

So, the former vice president has hit on what is likely the only winning strategy to fend off uncomfortable questions about his family benefiting from his decades-long proximity to power: Bark loudly and hope to scare away curious reporters.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/joe-biden-really-really-doesnt-want-to-talk-about-his-sons-shady-overseas-dealings

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.