1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
GOLD $1,193.8

Its all Greek to me

1. gungadin

2,055 Posts.

Fascinating things happen in Greece. I remember when I was invited to set a new company in Greece (its a long story but i will be brief). Sat round a table with my to be Greek colleagues, and I asked one of them what his contribution to the company would be. "I will ensure you never pay taxes in Greece" was the reply.

I was somewhat shocked, but I quickly realized he was not joking. The company was going to search for gold, up in Macedonia way and to the east. Had a great interest in gold. I learnt quite a few things. But I would not be betting on a certain country paying its debts....Good luck. Interesting to see the stance of the new govt below...

Greece's new left-wing finance minister says his government will not negotiate over the Greek bailout conditions with the "troika" team from the EU and IMF.
    Yanis Varoufakis said he was rather seeking direct talks with eurozone leaders, to try to cancel more than half the money Greece owes.
    He was speaking after meeting Jeroen Dijsselbloem, head of the Eurogroup - the eurozone finance ministers.

Mr Dijsselbloem said Greece should stick to its reform commitments.
    He said Greece and the Eurogroup had a "mutual interest in the further recovery of the Greek economy inside the eurozone" and warned against Athens acting unilaterally in its efforts to renegotiate its bailout.

Greece has endured tough budget cuts in return for its €240bn (£179bn; $270bn) bailout, agreed in 2010 with the "troika" - the European Commission, International Monetary Fund (IMF) and European Central Bank (ECB).

The BBC's Mark Lowen in Athens says there was little warmth between the two men at the news conference, with Mr Dijsselbloem making a brusque exit.
    Breaking with tradition, Mr Varoufakis wore an open-neck shirt - hanging loose at his belt. Mr Dijsselbloem was dressed conventionally.
    On the troika, Mr Varoufakis said "we have no intention of co-operating with a three-member committee whose goal is to implement a programme whose logic we consider anti-European".

GOOD LUCK to the Troika. Genuinely hard to get blood out of a stone.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.