1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Indonesia or Bali, Tourist destination - No way

1. Snooker

5,748 posts.
    I’ve been doing some thinking about the Indonesians and the recent Bali attack which I believe was aimed specifically at Australians.

The only conclusion that I come to irrespective as to which angle I try to approach the question of whether the Indonesians are genuinely sorry for what happened, is that I believe they are not.

My reasoning is as follows.

If the economic tourist vacuum is replaced by let’s say, Muslim visitors and the $$$$$$$$$$$ roll in, as they were when Australians were coming, there would not be any pressure on the Indonesians to offer any regrets at all.

I believe that only, and only because of the economic repercussion of Australian and most likely Western tourism dropping off, the Indonesian government is going through the motions as if it cared. There might even be an arrest or two.

I think the Balinese themselves who are predominantly Hindu, do care from a humanitarian perspective, but not the Indonesians. In fact I believe that members of the military had a “finger in the pie” there somewhere, although proving it will be very difficult.

The “crocodile tears” that are being shed in Jakarta are just that.

They want our tourist $$$$$$$ back despite their low opinion of us which is becoming clearer and clearer the more they object to the “heavy hand” that ASIO and the Feds are using to try and collar the sleepers who are intermingling with us, posing as Mr & Mrs Regular Jim Bloggs.

The argument to support Bali and get our people back there is hogwash. If we do that, nothing will occur other than the Indonesian will conveniently forget what happened to our people. Our fellow citizens will have died in vain.

I say speak with your wallets, and until such time they show genuine remorse and not only do everything they can to apprehend those involved in the senseless bombing of innocent people, but cease their whining about the way we go about protecting ourselves on our own turf, spend your hard earned tourist $$$$$ elsewhere.

Snooker the Infidel

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.