maybe it wasnt like that when you were there, but the generation...

1. 15,677 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 428
    maybe it wasnt like that when you were there, but the generation you brought up, the ones that "had no problems" before all these snowflakes came along and introduced words like autism, they apparently are the ones now all whacked out of their brains on ICE. that alone should raise an alarm bell somewhere for you.

do you ever stop and wonder whether your "did them no harm" mantra was maybe just what you believed, as opposed to what is actually real?

imo , a large percentage of the posts i read on hotcopper, usually by people irate with the woes of the world today, display fairly typical traits associated with autism spectrum disorders (eg asperger syndrome). they might think there is nothing wrong with them, but their whole method of communication and their perception of world affairs would suggest otherwise.

the truth is, the world is full of people who are failing to keep up with the constant evolution of our society, demanding that it be regressed back to a time when, to them, things were so much simpler and better. those same people will also lose their mind over anyone who demands that things be regressed even further back in time, to more archaic socio-cultural practices typical in tribal societies.

for many of them, there is usually a sweet spot when everything was just dandy. do a little oscillation either side of that sweet spot and suddenly the world and its inhabitants are terrible.

what does this tell you?
    well it tells me that there are alot of people who have problems integrating with the world we live in today. they fail to respect those "less evolved" than themselves, along with those "more evolved" than themselves.
    they suffer, in short, from autism.

everything outside their envelope is an aberration. remarkably, many of the people who feel this way about the world all seem to share the same values and ideology. the fact that there are so many of them gives them this unrealistic comfort in their abnormal condition, a belief that they are in fact the status quo.

it is a bit like a room full of crack-addicts, telling each other that there is nothing wrong with smoking crack and they are living proof of it, and believing that the real problem is the rest of the world with its inability to operate on crack.
    nothing that a clean-living person can tell them will change their mind. they will invent conspiracy theories to substantiate their views, and everything else will be deemed as fake, part of some global cover-up or conspiracy by the NWO etc.

so the million dollar question is, would the world be better if we respected the wishes of the mildly autistic and kept society in a bubble that they feel comfortable in, drip feeding them with whatever poison they need to maintain their distorted view of existence? or would it be better if we let it continue to evolve, warts and all, into this new and complicated beast that isnt everyones cup of tea, and is certainly less "normal", "familiar" and "safe" (which is what evolution, by definition, demands), but continue to try to mentor those less equipped to deal with evolution by being inclusive and tolerant of their shortcomings?

personally, i dont want evolution to stop, but hey, i'm just going on the weight of 5 billion years of continuous progress vs the opinions of one or two generations of immutable stalwarts. who am i to judge?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.