1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

I can't believe Condoleezza Rice said this

1. snuff

6,931 posts.
    A 'special country' needs special powers: Bush aide
    September 26 2002
    From: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/26/1032734274938.html

Washington: The United States should maintain its military superiority in the world and keep other nations from challenging it because it is "a very special country," a top White House official said.

"The United States is a very special country in that when we maintain this position of military strength that we have now, we do it in support of a balance of power that favours freedom," said national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, appearing last night on PBS's The HewsHour with Jim Lehrer program.

She made the comment as she defended a new US national security strategy that was unveiled last Friday and that lays the foundation for pre-emptive military strikes.

The strategy also declares that Washington will not allow any other country to attain military superiority or even parity with the United States.

The document has been roundly criticised at home and abroad as a claim to US dominance in the world.

advertisement

advertisement

Rice said that in its quest to maintain its current military status, the United States did not want to act alone and welcomed military contributions from other like-minded states.

"But if it comes to allowing another adversary to reach military parity with the United States in the way that the Soviet Union did, no, the United States does not intend to allow that to happen," the national security adviser said.

"Because when that happens, there will not be a balance of power that favours freedom," she stressed. "There will be a balance of power that keeps part of the world in tyranny the way that the Soviet Union did."

In my view this is dangerous thinking. If the US Administration is thinking like this then it is a very dangerous world it is leading us into. It argues for being above the law, whatever that may be. In the minds of Rice, it seems, the law is what the US Administraton says.

I hope not, I hope that the US Congress and Senate stands up and says no, loud and clear, to her.

She argues the US is for freedom but many would deny that vehemently because they think freedom belongs to those who favour the US view of the world.

As an aside, I am a monarchist, I have very strong feelings about how bad republics are. The US was one place that seemd to fly in the face of my position. I now feel even more comfortable about my position on monarchy and republicanism.

Regards

Desmond

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.