"evidence matters"Top Scientist Left Stunned by 'Very Odd'...

1. 15,367 Posts.

"evidence matters"

Top Scientist Left Stunned by 'Very Odd' Hydroxychloroquine Senate Hearing

11/20/20

A top physician has been left "stunned" after attending a Senate hearing during which experts discussed the use of the controversial anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) as a COVID-19 therapy for more than two hours.

"Today was a very, very odd day. They held a hearing on hydroxychloroquine. Yup, HCQ. In the middle of the worst surge of pandemic. [The other witnesses] believed thousands of Americans were dying from lack of HCQ. And then, there was me. This split was not a reflection of evidence or the consensus in medicine. It reflected ability of the majority to seat more witnesses," Jha said.

"The hearing was a testament to how politicized science has become. I shared evidence of studies that have failed to find benefit of HCQ. [The other witnesses] suggested my testimony was reckless because it would deny people access to lifesaving HCQ."

Jha said the "most shocking" part of the hearing was that other witnesses appeared to argue there was a "coordinated effort" by American doctors to deny patients HCQ, because they were "in bed" with Big Pharma.

"I tried to explain that doctors don't want to kill their patients by withhold therapy. But evidence matters," he said.

"Hydroxychloroquine has a very narrow therapeutic range. Only a small range of doses can be tolerated without leading to toxicity. While hydroxychloroquine toxicity is not very common, its use for COVID-19 requires a higher dosage than normally employed, and therefore, raises concern of greater side-effects and toxicity."

Read more:-
    https://www.newsweek.com/top-scientist-hydroxychloroquine-senate-hearing-1549061

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.