How do you interpret this?

1. 4,683 Posts.
    I'm asking whoever reads this to state whether the Qur’anic verses give you the answer yes or no to this lady's question. Then consider the answer she was given by the Imam.

I have been recently highly agitated by what I have read in Islamic sources about friendship between Muslims and non-Muslims. Essentially what I have understood is that friendship with non-Muslims is wrong. That so much as eating or chatting with non-Muslims is haram. There is also fatwas insisting that close friendship with non-Muslims is haram.
    This seems horrible to me, as well as bigoted. Why is this haram?

Answer: No, it is not unlawful nor disliked to befriend non-Muslims. Thinking otherwise is a misunderstanding of divine revelation and prophetic guidance.

The Qur’anic Verses
    Allah Most High says, “The believers should not make the disbelievers their [supporting] allies rather than other believers– anyone who does such a thing will isolate himself completely from God– except when you need to protect yourselves from them.” [3.28]
    And, “You who believe, do not take the Jews and Christians as [supporting] allies: they are [supporting] allies only to each other. Anyone who takes them as an ally becomes one of them– God does not guide such wrongdoers.” [5.51]

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.