1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

HARVEY PITT GOES

1. Grant62

4,899 Posts.
    According to CNN, the White House has just accepted the resignation of SEC Chairman Harvey Pitt.

This removes another impediment in the way of the US re-asserting effective governance cocntrols.

In addition to this, early poll projections are still making too close to call on the Senate outcome although I have ventured a 51:48:1 outcome in favour of the Republicans.

With 34 out of 100 seats up for re-election, the Democrats went into Tuesday's election with 36 seats intact (ie: not up for re-election). The Republicans went in with 29 seats intact, and there was 1 Independent.

In counting so far, CNN is projecting the Democrats with 42 (36 + 6), the Republicans with 37 (29 + 8), and Independents 1 (1 + nil).

With 16% of votes counted, Georgia is looking a clear risk for the Democrats (ie: the Republican Senate candidate holds 55% of the counted votes).

Louisiana is also at risk for the Democrats.

Currently, I am counting it as Republicans 44 (29 + 15 claiamed or in lead), Democrats 43 (36 + 7), 11 seats still to be counted (ie: with nil counting so far), and 1 seat lineball (ie: Maine).

Out of the 11 seats still to be counted, 6 are held by Republicans, and 5 by the Democrats (including in Minnesota where former VP Mondale is vying for election following the recent tragic death of Senator Wallstone).

Maine is also currently held by the Republicans.

If all these seats do not change hands, then the Republicans will end up with 51 seats, the Democrats 48 seats, and there will be one Independent.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.