1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Gold Mondays high $320.70

1. bombadier

2,271 posts.
    Well well BULTANA, where's the bigmouth wife abuser who called us idiots for saying gold would break 320 and offering 5:1?

Lucky for him he didn't have what it takes to either contact me or take the bet on. I would have preferred the former, since my chances of being paid may have been slightly under the odds he was spruiking.
    But then, I never expected him to take up my offer on either, did you?

SPOT MARKET IS OPEN
    closes in 17 hrs. 4 mins.
    Jul 15, 2002 20:07 NY Time
    Bid 318.30
    Ask 318.80
    Change -1.30
    -0.41%
    High 320.70 *******
    Low 316.20

Here's a commentry:

Gold prices climb as stock markets tumble
    By Adrienne Roberts and agencies
    FT.com site; Jul 15, 2002

Gold prices climbed on Monday as the dollar lost ground and speculative funds thronged to the precious metal to shield themselves from steep losses in global stock markets.

Spot gold rose $4 to $319.50 an ounce in European trade, its best since June 28, as the US dollar fell below parity with the euro for the first time since February 2000.

Further steep losses on Wall Street and European stock markets also supported gold's move higher as funds sought a bolt-hole.

Gold fixed at $319 an ounce in London afternoon trade. The metal reached a 2?-year high of $330.30 an ounce in June, but profit-taking took some of the wind out of its sails.

"The risks of another sell-off in gold are limited as long as equity and US dollar weakness remain a feature of the broader market," said Howard Patten, metals analyst at Barclays Capital.

Silver prices surged along with those of gold, matching their best levels so far this year. The metal fixed at $5.05 an ounce.

Bomber

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.