1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Gold & hedging - FWIW

1. dub

27,455 Posts.
    G'day,

I've been a gold bug for at least the last 5 years.

Over the last 5 years I've lost a lot of money (mainly through gold warrants and options) because of my beliefs. But I've learnt.

I really do believe this time it's the real deal.

I see today people are talking about LHG and CRS prices dropping. While that is being blamed on the POG, I think there is more to it.

Among the things I've learnt is the doubled edged nature of hedging. It's fine when the POG stays low. If (when) the POG takes off - and I believe it will within the next 12 months, and sooner rather than later - , the hedged companies, share price will not.

And as far as I can see, most of the Oz goldies are fairly substantially hedged.

What follows is, I understand to be quite true, but do your own DD.

The AGCMacquarie Gold Index lists 19 stocks. I looked at them all, then ruled most of them out from my Oz gold interest list. Why?

ABX - too new for me.
    AOR - cash problems.
    CRS - hedging
    EMP - hedging
    GBG - don't like financials
    GMS - high debt, low asset/liabilities ratios
    GRD -doubtful (buggered if I can remember why)
    KCN - debt, ratios, hedged
    NFM - ?
    RSG - hedged
    TRY - hedged.

I believe LHG is hedged, and NDY certainly was.

GCR - I can't find out, and therefore am not comfortable.

At the moment, the only Australian golds that I am comfortable with are DRD, TKR, SBM and LSG (but LSG is a Pooled Development Fund investing in junior explorers/producers. Currently 2 of LSG's 16 interests carry some hedging).

I use TA at the moment on just these four to buy/sell. (and currently hold 2 of them.)

I'm sure there are a few more Oz golds that are good re financial resources, production, locality, cashflow,costs, hedging etc. I'm simply not yet aware them to date.

I've made this post in an attempt to help - but each person should do their own DD and take full responsibility for their own action. eh.

bye.dub
    (Cheers to Chuck.)

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.