2. Gainers & Losers
CTO 1.0¢

gold $500 soon

1. blueballs

8,352 Posts.
    September 23, 2003 21:46

Gold Prices Rise, Fuel Proclamations at Denver Gold Forum Symposium
    By Steve Raabe, The Denver Post
    Sep. 23--Gold prices rose Monday to a seven-year high, fueling bullish proclamations at the Denver Gold Forum investment symposium.

Gold futures that hit $388 an ounce Monday could be headed as high as $500 within the next year, speculated Martin Murenbeeld, a Victoria, British Columbia-based gold analyst and keynote speaker at the Denver forum.

Monday's market surge occurred as the dollar fell against the euro and yen -- a phenomenon that has propelled gold over the past three years and which may continue boosting the precious metal, Murenbeeld said.

"The significance of the U.S. dollar to gold is well-established," he said. "All things equal, a weaker dollar is positive for the price of gold." Gold's 20 percent rally in the past year has been fueled partly by a 15 percent slump in the dollar against the euro, which made the dollar-priced metal cheaper for European buyers.

The dollar on Monday fell to a two-month low against the euro and to its lowest against yen since December 2000 after a call last week by international finance ministers for less government intervention on exchange rates.

Gold prices will continue to benefit from the weak dollar, among other factors, Murenbeeld said, such as low interest rates and growing U.S. debt. Gold historically has been considered a hedge against higher inflation, which could be forecast by the falling dollar and low interest rates.

"There's a great potential that over the next few months we could break $400 (an ounce), and it's very likely you could hit $500 at some point next year," he said.

The surging gold market prompted Murenbeeld to joke that his conference forecast of higher prices was a foregone conclusion.

"Obviously I'm bullish," he said. "Nobody ever asks me to speak if I'm not." In light of the weekend comments from the Group of Seven finance ministers, "the word is there's going to be a weaker U.S. dollar going forward; that has to be positive for gold," Ian Cockerill, chief executive of Gold Fields Ltd., the world's fourth-largest gold producer said at the Denver gold conference.

"We still are going to see a lot more legs" in gold's rally, he said.

Bloomberg News contributed to this report.

http://www.denverpost.com

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.