1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

German chancellor Angela Merkel rules out debt reduction for Greece

1. peteai

3,024 Posts.

I thought I'd start a new thread to focus on this
    and will it be a precedent for Portugal, Spain, Italy ?

On the other hand: is it is simply too big a burden for Greece ?

Regardless I think Greece needs to develop its economy if it does not want to go into long term decline - and that will probably require international support if not finance... and there lies a conundrum
    - misuse of credit got it into this mess but will probably need a lot of outside finance/investment to develop its economy

"There has already been voluntary debt forgiveness by private creditors, banks have already slashed billions from Greece's debt," Ms Merkel said in an interview with local newspaper Hamburger Abendblatt.
    "I do not envisage fresh debt cancellation," she said.
    The new Greek government has already begun to roll back years of austerity measures demanded by the EU and the International Monetary Fund in return for a 240 billion euro ($269 billion) bailout granted to avoid a financial meltdown in 2010, and says it will negotiate to halve the debt.
    At the start of 2012, Greece restructured its debt in a deal involving private creditors who took "haircuts" or wrote down parts of their holdings. This cut Greece's total debt burden by around 100 billion euros.
    But the country is today still lumbered with a debt pile of more than 315 billion euros, upwards of 175 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), a record for the European Union.
    "Europe will continue to show its solidarity with Greece, as with other countries hard hit by the crisis if these countries carry out reforms and cost-saving measures," Merkel said.
    Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras will visit Italy and France on Tuesday and Wednesday, but has no immediate plans to visit Germany, Europe's biggest economy and effective paymaster.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.