1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
CBA $71.92

Fitch agency Bullish on Banks

  1. jamesdoran88

    5,316 Posts.

    SHAW Analyst Comments: Major banks
    July 29, 2002

    International credit rating agency, Fitch, has re-iterated that the asset quality of Australia’s 4 major banks remains strong - despite the potential fall out from the struggling global telecommunications industry, as recently highlighted with ANZ’s exposure to Marconi PLC.

    Positive news

    Positive news for the banks, Fitch has highlighted their well refined use of dynamic provisioning procedures thereby reducing pressure on the balance sheet over the long term. This reflects a process of ongoing improvements made since the property crash of the early 1990’s.

    Fitch commented

    “…even if ANZ’s exposure to Marconi PLC was added to its impaired assets as at 31 March 2002, gross impaired assets would only rise from around 1.2% to 1.4% of gross loans”. This would imply that the remaining 98.6% of ANZ’s loan book is continuing to add value to the bottom line – which is near record highs.

Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.


Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.