TD, now might be a good time for you to bale out of this debate...

1. 3,907 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 62

TD, now might be a good time for you to bale out of this debate gracefully or otherwise,because - trust me on this - you’re on a hiding to nothing.

i’ve just been reading Glikson’s CV, which you can google, and there is no question its a substantial body of work in exactly the area he was commenting on.

you’ve chosen to completely duck any mention of your knowledge base suggesting there isn’t any. I put it to you that Unsubstantiated opinions aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.

this may be a key difference between us: i value knowledge and those who pursue it. Your savage take down of a senior academic without foundation suggests you don’t. That’s understandable but not applaudible: climate change denial is confected woo, largely fact free and you seem to have signed up.

i’ve attached a summary of Glikson’s work since 1998 and the start of His CV, which is available on climate.anu.edu.au:

1998-2008 - Visiting Fellow, Research School of Earth Science and School of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian National University, studying the effects of climate on prehistoric human evolution, the discovery of fire and its effects on human societies.

2008–2018 – Visiting Fellow, School of Archaeology and Anthropology, ANU, paleo-climate and human evolution and mastery of fire research. Publications on climate, fire and human evolution Books

Summary of research subjects (start of...)

Sharp changes in the composition of the atmosphere through the history of Earth have been triggered by comet and asteroid impacts, volcanic events, eruptions of methane and possibly supernovae. Biological effects on the composition of the atmosphere known from natural history include enrichment of atmospheric oxygen by plants, sequestration of CO2, enrichment of the atmosphere with CH4 emanated by bacteria and animals, and emanations of H2S emanations from anoxic acidic abyssal depths.

The role of humans in perpetrating what is colloquially referred to as the “sixth mass extinction” during the Holocene, and in particular since the mid- 19th century (Crutzen and Stoemer, 2000; Steffen et al., 2008), represents a phenomenon both distinct from, and at the same time similar in terms of its scale and consequences to, earlier mass extinctions through the history of Earth.

The scale of carbon emissions associated with industrial activity and land clearing is leading to a rise in atmospheric greenhouse gases (GHG) at a rate unprecedented in the Cainozoic record, excepting events triggered by global volcanic eruptions, large asteroid impacts and methane release. The evidence is leading to classification of a new geological era—the Anthropocene, defined in terms of the onset of the modern industrial age and its acceleration since about 1950.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.