2. Gainers & Losers
NEM $5.17

dumping of newmont shares

1. xerxes_ph

9,081 Posts.

"Another batch of Newmont insider sales

By: Tim Wood

Posted: 2004/03/22 Mon 19:02 EST | © Mineweb 1997-2004

Note: Last week's insider sales at Newmont were notdiscretionary, but forced by routine withholding taxes levied on restricted stock options that have vested. The sales are not comparable with those of December and January.

NEW YORK (Mineweb.com) -- Insider share transactions at Newmont [NEM] are keenly watched as a barometer for how key players are marking value during the gold bull run, so last week’s clutch of new sales will attract scrutiny.

There was a slew of selling in December and January, including a one-eighth reduction in Newmont president Pierre Lassonde’s stake; and nearly a quarter of director Seymour Schulich's position was sold. The latest sales took place last Thursday at a price close to the 40-day moving average for Newmont, and were triggered by withholding taxes on the company's long-term incentive plan.

Clearly, the latest sales won’t be exciting anyone – they have the character of an office football pool. All the shares were sold at the same price, $44.38, for a total value amounting to a piddling $577,694. Almost half of that was attributed to Lassonde and Newmont chief executive, Wayne Murdy.

That hardly compares with the December-January surge when many million dollars worth of stock was sold in Canada and the US near multi-year highs in company valuations and the gold price. "

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.